New Year, New Look, New Worlds

2015 was a year of transition for me. I only had two new releases--OBSESSED and ON THE NAUGHTY LIST--but, trust me, I was hard at work. I divided my time between revising and reinventing my indie-pubbed backlist, writing new story proposals (three in all) to submit to traditional publishers, and working on the next novel in my Impossible Dream series. Not to mention all the hours I dedicated to the business side of my career.

Still, I felt oddly unproductive. And frustrated. As much as I love writing and reading romantic fiction, I found it difficult to progress at my normal speed on my latest novel. This was a source of angst and depression and I spent too much time wondering "why" when the reason was obvious. After writing nearly thirty romance novels (and a dozen more romance proposals), I'm itching to conquer new worlds. The proposals I wrote and pitched to my agent in 2015 prove it.

Two of these new proposals are supernatural mysteries and one is a supernatural Young Adult. Yet another series idea--one that I've dabbled with over the last few months is also a supernatural mystery. All of these projects have a romantic element (I can't help myself) and a degree of sexual tension, but the focus of the story is on the mystery and adventure and the supernatural aspects.

Even though I knew my passion had shifted to a new genre, I spent the last year wrestling with how to handle a transition without committing career suicide. Should I adopt a pen name for the mysteries? Should I maintain separate websites and social media homes? These and several other business related questions stifled my progress and spirits.

Last night I surfed the websites of several authors who write in multiple genres. Some under one name. Some under pen names. I'm not sure what tripped my light bulb moment, but it occurred to me that I am not abandoning "romance" or my romance readers. I'm simply taking my love of romance and adventure to a new level. With that exciting and freeing thought in mind, I gave this blog a quick makeover. Something to inspire me, something to push me forward into the new year and new worlds. At some point I need to invest in a new website, a home that will celebrate all of my creative endeavors, but for now I'm focusing on my writing. after finishing and releasing MARRY POPPINS, the third book in my Impossible Dream series, I'm committing to finishing and releasing a story that's had its hooks in me for a very long time. I even have the cover--a delicious confection designed by Elle J Rossi of EJR Digital Art. It's now featured on the "Supernatural Mysteries" page of this blog, but I'll share it here, too. Another form of my commitment.

Amazing. I feel so much better now.  Onward and upward! I hope you'll join me for the ride.


Fact and fiction collide...

.....when literary characters from an alternate universe infiltrate the real world intent on global domination. Zoe Albright, a storybook author who hears disembodied voices, teams up with Gabriel Bennett, a dimension-traveling assassin in order to prevent universal mayhem. Backed by the Elite Society of Character Assassins, Zoe and Gabriel battle literary monsters in a quest to save reality from the onslaught of maniacal illusion.


                             

Comments

ReadingOverTV said…
Good luck. Looking forward is important as is being true to your impulse and feelings. I'm always open to new stories by favorite authors, so write on, and we will be happy to read.
Beth Ciotta said…
Thank you, Madison. I really wrestled with this, but now that I've decided to go for it... it rejuvenates all facets of my creative being. Here's to an inspired and enjoyable 2016 for all of us!
Roni Denholtz said…
I'll follow you to wherever the muse takes you and I'll read all your books since I love your writing Beth! Sometimes a writer needs a creative break to explore new things. I myself am working on some paranormals (a new genre for me). Good luck!
Gayle Cochrane said…
What you want to write about sounds lovely. I like stories that have mysteries, paranormal or otherwise with a romantic element. If at all possible don't change your pen name, I find that so confusing when authors do that. Best of luck writing where your muse takes you.
Beth Ciotta said…
Roni, thank you as always for your enthusiastic support. It means so much! As for you... How exciting that you, too, are exploring new worlds. It seems as if several of us are making new leaps this year. Here's to contentment and success for us all.
Beth Ciotta said…
I'm cheered by your note, Gayle. So nice to know I have some readers who are willing to flirt with my craziness. ;) As for the pen name, my intention now is to stay as/who I am. No additional name. It would probably confuse me as well!
Christine Bush said…
Cool, cool, all cool. As usual, I'm soooo proud of you and can't wait to read where your creative brain takes you! Onward!
Christine Bush said…
Cool, cool, all cool. As usual, I'm soooo proud of you and can't wait to read where your creative brain takes you! Onward!
Beth Ciotta said…
Chris, thank you for you oh-so-very-kind words. I'm beaming! Yes, onward!
R. Benson said…
So exciting, Beth! One of my authors (I mean, whose work I narrate) writes successfully in several genres, mystery, historical fiction, science fiction/fantasy. I know that sticking with your own name will cut down on lots of marketing time and let you get to the real writing for your avid fans! Congratulations!
Beth Ciotta said…
Rosemary, thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my post. It's encouraging to know that you work with an author who is successfully navigating multiple genres. As for sticking with one name... yes, the thought of having to "double up" on marketing efforts was more than a little daunting. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Thanksgiving!

The Reality of it All

I've Moved!