Dream More

A book caught my eye. Actually, the copy on the back of the book caught my eye.

If I have a wish for you, it is that you:
Dream more
Learn more
Care more
Be more

Love,
Dolly

It's a small book meant to inspire and motivate and it's written by Dolly Parton. I've always loved Dolly. She's bigger than life with her big hair, bold makeup, and glitzy wardrobe. She's charismatic, down-to-earth, and incredibly talented. A singer and songwriter. An actress and founder of Dollywood and the Dollywood Foundation for the Imaginary Library. She's also, I learned after speed reading the preface of this book, a gifted writer with some valuable insight and advice. I only just started DREAM MORE--Celebrate the Dreamer in You and I am already charmed and inspired. Happening on this little gem at this particular time in my life was a blessing.

"Dreams took me from a shack at the foothills of great Smokey Mountains to Nashville and then to Hollywood. And then around the world, like Cinderella and the Fairy godmother all combined, in glitter, high heels and hair."  

I've always been a dreamer myself. Sometimes I have to remind myself that dreaming big (and working hard) got me to where I am today. I have to remind myself of all the wonderful things I've accomplished and all the accolades I've enjoyed. This is one of those times. I've fallen short of a few of my expectations and instead of learning from the experience and dreaming beyond, I've been spinning my wheels in a mud-pit of self-doubt.

"I thank God for my failures. Maybe not at the time, but after some reflection. I never feel like a failure just because I tried something and failed. to me, the secret is all in how you approach things.
Attitude, it's all in the attitude. Just because you fail, don't mean you have to lose. But if you want to win, then here's the simple truth. You have to change your attitude."

This passage and many more resonate deeply with me. As does Dolly's genuine "voice". I look forward to reading more of this book and I'm pretty sure I'll be sharing more of my thoughts based on Dolly's insight. 

What about you? Are you dreaming big? 

   

     

  


Comments

Gayle Cochrane said…
I will have to look for this book. I love Dolly. I think her comment about not hardening your heart is the key. Easier said than done. Wonder what the remedy for hard spots is?

Your doodle background is nice, it makes the header pop more than the yellow. I just discovered your post from two days ago, yesterday on Facebook, regarding starting up blogging.

Happy blogging.
Beth Ciotta said…
Hi Gayle,

I agree. It's incredibly important not to grow cynical and yes, at times that's easier said than done. I want to eek back to the person who sees the glass half-full, not half-empty. When the heck did I become "that" person? ;)

I'm so glad you like the doodle background. I do, too. The yellow was fun and cheery, but it hurt my eyes. LOL

Thanks so much for hopping over to my dusty blog and for commenting. You made my day!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Holidays!

Happy Thanksgiving!

The Reality of it All