The Cupcake Craft

My husband, tech wiz that he is, figured out whatever was wrong with my smart phone and finally I was able to email myself, attaching pics of the craft I attended last Wednesday night.

As most of you know, in addition to writing, I also work at my local library. One of the fun things we do for the community is to host occasional child and adult crafts. I've never attended a craft class since they're always on a Wednesday night and I'm usually home working hard on a manuscript. However this month's craft featured cupcakes! Making a cupcake stand and decorating a cupcake with fondant. Considering I'm writing a new series called--THE CUPCAKE CLUB--I couldn't resist joining in!

Our branch manager (and good friend), Beth B (who's an amazing baker) made the cupcakes and the fondant from scratch. Our task was to create our stands and to decorate our cupcake. I'm not very 'crafty' nor have I ever decorated a cupcake, especially with fondant. Behold my fun evening in this slide show!


I'm so glad I got out and attended this event. Even though I'm not particularly talented with crafts or decorating cupcakes (you should have seen some of the other ladies creations!) I had a blast trying. I also very much enjoyed the kinship with friends and library patrons. What abut you? Are you 'crafty'? Do you ever attend local craft/art workshops?

**If the slide show isn't working, just click your 'refresh' button. It's acting a little wonky. Sorry!

Comments

Roni Denholtz said…
I think they look great! I'm not really crafty either, although i used to embroider.
Lisa Berger said…
Beth, That's great!
What kind of paint did you use for the flowerpot? I have never worked with fondant. Was it difficult? And... did you taste it? What a fun thing to do.
Hugs, Lisa ;-)
Beth Ciotta said…
Thanks so much, Roni! I've never embroidered, but I did try needlepoint once. It was fun. Hey, maybe I should try embrodering a 'cupcake' on an apron!
Beth Ciotta said…
Lisa, I think it was just typical craft, ceramic paint. The kind you get at any craft store. As for the fondant, Beth B made it at home from scratch--a marshmellow fondant recipe. I think food coloring gave it the colors. She said she had a hard time with it because of the humidity. ??? But it worked okay for us. She rolled it out and told us how to apply to the cupcake. We used cookie cutters to get different shapes. That part was easy. Because she made it from scratch, it tasted fine. Sweet. I heard the kind you buy in the store tastes kind of nasty. :(
Elle J Rossi said…
Not very crafty but I love to get together with the gals and hang! Usually that means good food, cold beverages, lots of laughs and country music. If we happen to get something crafty done while we're at it...BONUS!
Beth Ciotta said…
That sounds like the best of best nights, Elle. Would love to join you sometime!
Morwyn said…
I love crafts. One of my fave things to do with my girls. Looks like you had a great time at craft night. I'll have to see if our library has one.
Beth Ciotta said…
Morwyn, one of the awesome things about our craft nights/days at the library are that they are absolutely free to the patrons. No cost to register AND we supply everything needed. If your library works the same way, it's a great, affordable way to have fun!
Brooks Conner said…
Great slide show! You are, officially, no longer a techno geek. I hope none of that glue got in the cupcake. Glad you had fun!
Beth Ciotta said…
No glue in hte cupcake, Brooks. We painted and glued at one table and decorated cupcakes at another. Otherwise I'm sure I would have mixed something up! Glad you like the slide show. Slide.com makes it easy. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Holidays!

Happy Thanksgiving!

The Reality of it All