Thursday, February 11, 2010

New Worlds and Cool News

There's a story that I'm dying to write, but it involves worldbuilding and that's a bit intimidating. So, even though I have the concept and a few chapters, I've been avoiding writing a synopsis. Because . . . in order to write the synopsis I have to know the story beginning to end and I don't. It's that pesky affliction I have--Pansters Syndrome. Meaning I write by the seat of my pants, fly into the mist, leap and the net appears, etc.

Except then I remembered, I just completed a synopsis last week, a synopsis I ended up loving, and didn't know that story beginning to end. It revealed itself as I researched and wrote. That's pretty much how it always goes with me. So why let a little bit of worldbuilding (read: fear of the new and unknown) stand in the way of developing a fun project?

“It's like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.” --E. L. Doctorow

So, I switched on my headlights and drove. So far I've only got a long paragraph, but all the research I did to get me there is revealing more and more of the story. Today... the trip continues!

***

In other news: My cyber-friend, Amanda Roberts is guest-blogging at my sister's blog-- Loud Whispers. Hop over for a glimpse into this writer's hermit-like existence.

In other, other news: Attention Kindle lovers! My April release, OUT OF EDEN is now available for pre-order!

That's it for now. I'm off to tackle New Worlds! What's on your agenda today?

1 comment:

Elle J Rossi said...

Hi,

Thanks for the shout out!

World building is fun, in my opinion. I love to create something that is completely my own.

My agenda? Premiere of Survivor and then some writing and perhaps a mug of Bailey's coffee!