Dear Diary,

I know. I know. It's been over a week since I last checked in. What can I say? I've been super busy and best of all focused. I finally finished the synopsis from hell. Woo-hoo! Submitted it--Yay!--then attacked the partial I needed to critique for a fellow writer. I rarely critique other people's work. Tricky business. But this was a special circumstance and I wanted to provide detailed guidance (along with inspiration), so that took a couple of nights.

Last night, I started attacking a promotional project that is loooong overdue. My newsletter. Confession. I have committed a promo sin. Two years ago, I started inviting readers to sign up for my newsletter and then never actually sent one. There are several reasons. Number one: Lack of time. I don't have a personal publicist so this would be yet another thing to squeeze into my schedule. The thing is I'm always going to be crunched for time and I'm trying to explore new and perhaps more effective ways of keeping in touch with readers. I've heard from more than one fellow author that newsletters, when not abused (read: bombarding subscribers too often and offering little more than a sales pitch), can be very effective.

So... I've started the process. Now I just have to decide if I want to go the free route and use the 'Yahoo' no-frills-text-only newsletter option.... or if I want to pay for a service like Chimpmail or Constant Contact. These places offer attractive templates and look like an actual newsletter. Decisions, decisons.

What about you? Do you subscribe to any author's newsletters? Are there any particular features or extras that you enjoy? Do you care if it's text only or an actual template that allows pictures, graphics and such? This inquiring mind wants to know.


**********************
WRITING: Finished the synopsis for Into the Wild. Finished critiquing a partial manuscript. Dove back into my current WIP: Out of the Ordinary.
RECREATION: Treated myself to The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (I really want to see Dark Knight but am holding out to see with Steve.) Anyhoo, Mummy 3 was perfect for my mindset. I need a fun distraction and I got it!
EXERCISE: Yesterday, I added distance, increasing my power walk to 50-minutes. Today, I was over ambitious and carried heavier hand weights. DUMB! Between the intense heat and the addded weight, it was all I could do to make it back home. But I DID make it. Call me determined.
DIET: Today I bought two new pairs of capris. I've gone down an entire size and even those were loose in the waist!! Woo-hoo!
MOOD: Hyper
QUOTE OF THE DAY: "Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford

Comments

Tori Lennox said…
I don't have a lot to suggest but I know I prefer the newsletters that look like newsletters vs the ones that get sent out via Yahoo. :)
Beth Ciotta said…
Just the kind of feedback I'm looking for, Tori. Thank you!
flchen1 said…
You know, Beth, I haven't minded much how the newsletters look--I think the ones I get from Lori Foster and Suz Brockmann are actually text-only (I must have subscribed eons ago and never updated my preferences)--their personalities still come through in what they say/how they say it. I also get lots of fancier looking ones from other authors but often my almost-too-helpful e-mail program strips the graphics anyway to try to avoid the whole spam thing... So I think that while it's nice if it's pretty, it doesn't really matter THAT much. Sorry--that was kind of long-winded! (Clearly I'm not cut out for creating newsletters! ;))

And congrats on getting new clothes!! That's always fun!
Anna Lucia said…
I prefer a 'proper' newsletter, as long as it isn't loaded down with images. I'm only on a few author's newsletter lists - ones who I daren't miss something important from! Please add me to yours!

I can't wait to see Mummy 3. I've loved them all, and they are always just right for my mindset, too. Plus BF is just lovely.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Thanksgiving!

I've Moved!

The Reality of it All