Beat it, Gustav!

In a perfect world, I'd be sitting on a plane just now--thirty-five minutes from touchdown in New Orleans. I've been looking forward to this holiday weekend for a very long time. Heather Graham's Writers For New Orleans Conference. A weekend surrounded by writers, publishing professionals, many of them close friends. I've spent the better part of the past week cramming for a workshop and a performance in a dinner theater show. My bags were packed--ready to go....

Then last night came the news of Tropical Storm Gustav. A projected path has it headed for New Orleans. It could hit by Sunday/Monday and it could be a category 3 hurricane by then. Last night LA declared a state of emergency and announced that they may evacuate New Orleans as early as tomorrow.

Or not. Depends on if Gustav changes directions or peters out. But I was scheduled to fly in this morning and fly back Monday. What if I flew in only to be evacuated the next day along with 30,000 other people?? Although I am an optimism, I also have a healthy imagination...

Heart heavy, I opted on the side of caution (plus also saving my husband much worry). Last night I sent my apologies to Heather and this morning I cancelled my flight. I am so disappointed. I really needed this particular weekend.

That said, my thoughts are with my friends who do indeed travel to to NOLA in spite of the storm as well as everyone who lives in New Orleans and along the coast. Haven't they endured enough for two lifetimes? Beat it, Gustav! Better yet, die a quick death!

Meanwhile, I am determined to overcome my 'blues' and to look on the bright side. Five unexpected days here at home. I can catch up on much needed housework. I can do a full body dive back into my next deadline book. I can update my website. Catch up on my blogs. I can spend some quality time with my husband.

As my friend, Mary reminded me last night, sometimes you have to make lemonade out of lemons. Thus... I am off to squeeze out some sunshine.

What are you doing this holiday weekend?

**************
WRITING: Completed revisions and polishing of EVIE EVER AFTER.
RECREATION: Zip.
EXERCISE: Zero. Devoted the last five days to revisions and pre-conference stuff.
DIET: After a couple of weeks of being a yo-yo, I am back on track. Lost one (1) more pound! I have now lost 14 pounds total. Yay!
MOOD: Disappointed.
QUOTE OF THE DAY: "When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us." -- Helen Keller

Comments

sharon w. said…
Sometimes our minds have a way of protecting us from possible injury, or worse, with the niggling, small whispers in our subconscious. Even with the major disappointment, I'm glad you decided to cancel. Like you said, now you can work some more on your other projects, and spend some special time with your hubby.
Keep up the good, steady work Beth, we can hardly wait for your next published project.
Julia Templeton said…
HUGS!
I'm sorry, Beth. I know how much you enjoy Heather's conference.
Enjoy those five days with Steve and your furry kids. I'm sure you can use the down time.
As to my weekend plans--moving my son back home, and catching the new Jason Statham movie ;).
Love & miss you!
Julie
Beth Ciotta said…
I think you're right, Sharon. Sometimes our subconscious is keyed in on a higher level. As badly as I wanted to go, my gut said "no". And though disappointed, I am making good use of this time. I surprised my husband with some heavy duty housecleaning yesterday. He treated me to Chinese food. My favorite!
Beth Ciotta said…
Thanks for the hug, Julie. To miss RT, RWA, and now this too was just beyond depressing. However, I am enjoying unexpexted time with Steve and the furry ones. Plus, I hope to make major headway on the WIP.

LOVE Jason Stratham! How was the movie? You MUST see The Bank Job. Great movie and he's awesome.

Um. Kipper's moving home???
Cheri2628 said…
So sorry to hear that you can't go to the conference. It's tough to look forward to something and then have to cancel. My prayers are with the folks along the Gulf coast. I hope and pray that Gustav will fizzle out. I don't know if I could live in a hurricane-prone area and face this fear every year.
Beth Ciotta said…
Cheri, as of this morning Gustav intensified to a catagory 3 hurricane. My thoughts and prayers are with the people on the coast as well. Many have started to evacuate ahead of schedule. I don't blame them. Like you, I can't imagine living in a hurricane prone area. Granted I live on a small island on the eastern seaboard, but we haven't had a hurricane hit that bad since the late sixties. *knock on wood*
flchen1 said…
Oh, Beth! I'm so sorry you have to miss the conference, but I'm sure you'll end up making terrific use of that time with Steve and your fuzzy ones and your writing and your reading :) Take care! We've got very few plans this weekend (which is LOVELY!) and I'm trying to keep the kids (mostly) on a school-night-sleep schedule--ha! ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Holidays!

Happy Thanksgiving!

The Reality of it All