This and That

I'm amazed at how much of my life fell through the cracks while I was on this last deadline. Domestic stuff. Social stuff. It's only been a week and I haven't really caught up with friends, but I have gotten a boatload of housework done--not that I'm close to being finished. I've also tackled a few promotional ventures--not that feel like talking about those.


Sunday, I treated myself to a day off the island. I shopped--for myself and for the house--and went to a movie. One of my co-workers at the library was amazed that I'd go to a movie alone. Personally, I love losing myself in a sparsely attended matinee. After months of not seeing a movie in a theater, I picked a winner! IRONMAN.

Loved it. Intelligent, humorous, intense and exciting. Yes!


Tonight I'm joining my movie buddy, Vincent, to see the new Indiana Jones movie. I can't wait!


I've been researching blogs. What makes them effective and such. I read an interesting article in Newsweek. I reviewed my notes from a prominant publishing individual. I know I'm not making the best of this blog. Who cares about my daily life? Seriously. Especially since my daily life is pretty boring.

The best blogs educate, entertain or inspire. That takes energy, creativity, and time. ECT. The three things that I need to channel into my novels. I'm trying to think of a unique spin for this blog, something that wouldn't tax my ECT. Until I do, all I have to offer is the occasional peek into my daily life. *yawn* The only alternative is to give up blogging, which a lot of people seem to be doing.

If you happen to think of something 'unique' or some direction you'd like me to take with this blog, please do let me know. If you don't want to post publicly, you can email me privately at beth@bethciotta.com

Meanwhile, have a great day and if you haven't seen IRONMAN, do!

Comments

Jordan Summers said…
I'll be paying close attention to the answers you receive here, Beth. Wasn't Ironman the bomb? So good. :)
Roni said…
I love your blog just the way it is. It's fun, hip and charming. It's one of the few I spend time checking on a regular basis.
Jen said…
I LOVE going to the movies alone! (during empty matinees, it's not worth doing for a crowded showing)
Good for you!
James Young said…
Hi Beth,

I'd be interested to hear what you have learned about effective blogging (interestingly, searching for "effective blogging" brought me to your site !). I'm new to the blogging concept and i am struggling to see how i can use it effectively, how people can find me, etc.

James

http://www.apassionforpens.co.uk
James Young said…
Hi Beth,

I'd be interested to hear what you have learned about effective blogging (interestingly, searching for "effective blogging" brought me to your site !). I'm new to the blogging concept and i am struggling to see how i can use it effectively, how people can find me, etc.

James

http://www.apassionforpens.co.uk
Beth Ciotta said…
Thanks to those who chimed in here. Much appreciated!

To anyone checking back, as you can see, I didn't get much feedback on the blogging aspect of my post. Here's my theory on that.

I don't have a large readership on this blog. Of that readership, I'm assuming that the loyal regulars will come here no matter the frequency and content of my blog. These readers are either friends or fans of my novels (or both)and seem to be happy with me just being me.

The rest of the readership is made up of drive-bys. People who google a subject (Hi, James!) and are led to my blog. Or readers who link to me from another blog's 'blog roll'. Unless I offer something of value or keen interest to these readers, I doubt they return.

Think of a blog in terms of a novel or a TV show. The goal is to hook the viewer and to satisfy their entertainment, educational, professional, or inspirational needs so that they'll return again and again. Word spreads and people with like interests hop on board. This is how you grow your audience.

Targeting your core audience is the first step. Who do you want to appeal to and why?

I'm going to put some thoughts and notes together and will create a post on effective blogging in the next couple of days. In the meantime, if you have any thoughts or questions, please feel free to post them!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Thanksgiving!

The Reality of it All

I've Moved!