Monday, May 5, 2008

Make Me Smile

I sailed through most of my life sporting rose-colored glasses. I rarely watched the news or read the newspapers. It's not that I didn't want to be aware of current events, it's that for the most part media focused on the bad stuff in life. Stuff I didn't want to know about.

Unfortunately, as much as I love my job at the library, it behooves me to be somewhat savvy about what's going on in the world. So every morning, I now surf CNN. I'm often appalled by the headlines alone. Many of the stories are horrifying. I really don't want to know that mankind is capable of such atrocities. Lately, I've been feeling a little depressed. I blame the news. The 'bad' news that is. So I'm slipping on my rose-colored glasses for the next few days. I'm adopting Monty Python's "Always Look On The Bright Side of Life" as my theme song. I'm asking you to help me adopt a merrier attitude.

Share some good news with me. Something about you. Your professional life. Your family life. Or something uplifting about someone you know. As Chicago sang... Make Me Smile!

Meanwhile, for your listening pleasure.. my new theme song!

6 comments:

www.ronidenholtz.com said...

I LOVE "Make Me Smile." (And hey, I saw them perform it around 1971 at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City).
Good news...I finished going over my page proofs for my Oct.book and there weren't too many mistakes (my last book had a lot of things I had to correct). Also...you're doing well in Brenda's auction Beth! It's raising money for a great cause (I'm participating too). Other good news...well, my sister had a little scare when she found a small lump, but it turned out to be scar tissue from her masectomy. So we're happy!

Beth Ciotta said...

Roni, you saw Chicago live? And in their hey day too. So envious!

Congrats on the clean page proofs! That must feel great. As to Brenda's auction, so right. A very good cause and it's heartening to see that so many publishing professionals donated goods and services. Also uplifiting--the amount of people who are bidding for those things... and all for a GREAT cause.

Regarding your sister's scare, Roni, I am so glad it was a false alarm. That's GREAT news. :)

Thanks for the smile. :)

flchen1 said...

Hi, Beth! So sorry that you've been blue--I can't stand watching the news. Call me an ostrich, but I tend to avoid current events mostly--I occasionally listen to NPR, but definitely don't watch any news and only sometimes read the paper. There's too much else going on!

Hmm... well, not sure if this is what you had in mind, but I'm commenting today from another part of the world! We're in Korea for the week, and it's been an adventure! The kids are having a great time, and we're enjoying ourselves tremendously even though we don't speak or read any Korean. (The kids are excited by little things like "Hey, grape yogurt! We don't have that at home!" And I'm thrilled to be able to sneak onto my DH's computer for a little while and catch up on some of my favorite people's blogs (yes, that means you!) Hope you're having a good week, and I'll definitely be heading over to Brenda's auction to check it out (but probably not 'til I get back)... Shopping for a cause--woohoo!

Nancy Henderson said...

I just received a contract offer on my paranormal, Wicked Redemption!!! That's my good news today.

I don't watch the news much either. Too depressing.

Beth Ciotta said...

flchen1, you're in Korea?! How thrilling! What an adventure indeed. Glad the kids are having fun. A whole new culture to soak in. Grape yogurt, huh? ;)

Thank you for popping in from around the world. I'm flattered!

Beth Ciotta said...

Oh, my gosh, Nancy! That's fantastic news! Congratulations! i'm beaming ear to ear for you. :)