Jet-lagged and Pensive


The best part about arriving home yesterday was being reunited with our beloved nutty pets, (L to R) Sadie, Cheyenne and Billie. To say they greeted us enthusiastically is an understatement. They were well cared for while we were in London, but six days is a long time. They missed us and we missed them. Last night, while I battled jet-lag and tried to make headway on the deadline book (a true effort of diving right back into work), all three of them spent the evening curled up by my feet in my office. It gave me the warm fuzzies. It's good to be the center of their universe. *g*

I zonked out early last night and woke at a crazy early hour this morning. My body clock is still ticking on London time. I've spent the morning catching up on some business and, you guessed it, working on the deadline book. Soon, I'll be heading into the library for a full day's work. How is it possible to take a six-day holiday and not feel rested?

The Romantic Times Convention is in full swing. After attending for thirteen years straight, it feels odd not to be there. PW's Barbara Vey and Smart Bitches', Sarah, are blogging about the festivities. I'll be experiencing RT vicariously through them.

Two things that are on my mind: Writers' organizations and related email 'loops' and blogging.

JA Konrath offers a thought-provoking post on the advantages (or not) of belonging to writers' organizations.
And on blogging...

'The very last thing an author should be doing is starting a blog," says author and blogger M. J. Rose. "Not just because the very act of writing the blog draws on the creativity energy that it takes to write our books, but because only a small percentage of us have something to write about three or four times a week, week after week, that readers crave - other than our books." Read the entire article on writers' blogging here.

I may not be rested, but I am pensive. Time away from the Internet, time with my husband and time to soak in some culture and history has prodded me to reassess my priorities. My chaotic schedule is not going to change. So how do I improve my quality of life? Like I said. Pensive.

But it's all good.

Pics and tales about London forthcoming. If you could take an impromptu holiday, where would you go?

Comments

Roni said…
our furry babies are beautiful Beth! They look so happy! Welcome home to the US.
charleneteglia said…
Where would I go? Machu Picchu. I know, weird. *g*

Welcome back, Beth. If you figure out how to deal with the hectic schedule and balance it all, share with the rest of the class, please.
flchen1 said…
Hmm... so hard to decide! Assuming it's without the kids, I'm not sure whether I'd want to explore a place I've visited before (China, Japan, London, Paris...) or try some place new (China, Japan, other countries in Asia, Italy...)

And yes, would love to hear some of your thinking on balance--a question for many of us, I think :)

Welcome back, btw!
Julia Templeton said…
Welcome back! I'm glad you had a great time in London. BTW, I love the photo of the kids! I hardly recognized Cheyenne :).

I know how you feel about not attending RT this year. It does feel odd not to be there. We'll make up for it next year.

As to an impromptu holiday--I'd definitely head to Scotland ;).
Beth Ciotta said…
Roni, I like to think that Sadie, Cheyenne and Billie are happy. They certainly bring me joy!
Beth Ciotta said…
Charli, that's not weird. It's adventurous. :)

As to the balancing act, I'm actually thinking quite hard on this. I'll be sure to let you know what conclusions and decisions I arrive at. If you think of something first, let ME know. :)
Beth Ciotta said…
flchen1, such wonderful destinations! Japan is a dream visit of mine as well, along with Alaska and Australia. I've been to Paris once. It was fabulous, although the language barrier was tough.

As to seeking and finding balance, you're absolutely right. It pertains to a lot of people. Not just moi. *g* I'll let you know how it goes and maybe something I come up with will work for you as well.
Beth Ciotta said…
Hi Julie! Yes, I am missing RT. But some of my best buds, like you, Mary, Ari, and Jordan aren't there either. It would have felt odd to be there without you guys. SO... we realy must start planning for Orlando.

As for Scotland... can I come with? :)
Barb said…
Italy with my sister!
Beth Ciotta said…
Hi Barb! Absolutely. Italy 2009. Here we come!!!!!!!!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Thanksgiving!

I've Moved!

The Reality of it All