When Stars Really Shine

I love it when celebrities--and I'm talking the ones who make BIG bucks--donate large amounts of money to charity. I mean really. Just how much money does one person need? Isn't it enough simply to have one million in the bank?


In the past year, George Clooney, Matt Damon, Don Cheadle, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie contributed millions to the cause of their choice. Just this past week, Drew Barrymore contributed one million dollars to feed Kenyen children. Go, Drew!


Yesterday I tripped upon an article announcing that you can win a date with Scarlett Johansson. 100% of the proceeds go to Oxfam America. The bidding is taking place here on Ebay.



The winning bidder will receive:
* Two tickets to the world premiere of He's Just Not That Into You. The premiere location has not yet been determined but will be in either Los Angeles or New York this July.

* Chauffeured car service to the premiere

* Hair and makeup for one by Privé

* A meet and greet with Scarlett Johansson at the premiere


Yesterday I checked in soon after the bidding opened and the bid was at $1100.00. As of the writing of this post it's up to $15,000.00!!! Holy moly! Who has fifteen thousand to spend on a meet and greet with Scarlett? I have to admit, I'm curious. Even more curious as to how high the bidding will go! The more the better, as it is for charity, after all.


So, would you be tempted to bid on a celebrity package like this? If so, what celebrity would tempt you into dipping big time into your savings account?

Comments

FeyRhi said…
Is this limited to only living actors?

I would have loved a chance to meet Audrey Hepburn. What a conversation that would be. Not to forget that she was championing children long before it was fashionable to have a "cause".
flchen1 said…
I so wouldn't do something like that, but I do agree with you that it's awesome when celebrities use their wealth and power to help those less fortunate. Yay!

(Now I'm curious, too--must go click :))
Tori Lennox said…
I just wish I had that kind of money! Being poor as the proverbial church mouse gets really old. *g*
Marissa Alwin said…
This wallflower would never be brave enough for a one on one, but the romance covermodel reunion dinner at RT seems tempting... Adrian Paul and Fabio are attending to raise money for The Peace Fund and Support Our Soldiers
tickets are $100. more in my budget.
http://rtcovermodels.com/

HUGS
Mo
Beth Ciotta said…
Feyrhi, what an awesome choice of someone to meet with. Miss Hepburn was a generous and beautiful soul.

I don't have that kind of money to donate--very few of us do--but if I DID have the funds, I'd be most tempted to bid on a 'meet and greet' with Bette Midler. I have idolized her for almost thirty years. She was definitely the biggest influences on my perfoming. Of course, I'd probably be so in awe, I'd be dumbstruck.
Beth Ciotta said…
flchen1, I'm wondering if most of these bidders aren't men. I mean, hey, just look at Scarlett. Young. Sexy. Beautiful. Talented. AT this point they have to be 'rich' men, because the bid is at $20,000. I wonder if they realize what a 'meet and greet' really is. We're not talking 'date' guys. Not even dinner. More like tenty minutes of a casual chat with her bodyguards hanging nearby. ;)
Beth Ciotta said…
Oops. I meant TWENTY minutes.

Hey Tori! I hear ya, girl!

Hi Mo! Sadly, I won't be at RT this year, but I did read about the charity night featuring the top cover models. A very good cause. You MUST blog about the evening. Have a great time!
Brooks C. said…
While I can't bid on a date (I'm married), I'd like to comment on your first question, "Isn't it enough to have a million dollars in your bank account?"

Sure, if you plan on continuing with your career, it would be nice to have a million in investments toward your retirement. But not if you want to retire on the million, especially if you're still young. Consider the cost of living and how much it takes to maintain your current lifestyle. Maybe if you started a more conservative budget. Then what about inflation over the years? A million dollars isn't what it used to be. But, it would be nice!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Holidays!

So it begins...

Happy Thanksgiving!