Be Kind to the Bunny

Follows a post I originally wrote three years ago. The message--be kind to the Easter Bunny (and all other costumed characters)--still applies. The topic is especially timely to me as I recently wrote a scene in Evie Ever After (the third installment in the Chameleon Chronicles) where Evie has to don a . . . well, let's just say she has to suit up or the greater good.


My eyebrows rose when I noticed a headline in my Yahoo news column last night: Easter Bunny gets Pummeled by Boy at Mall. Though that headline causes one to smile, really it's not all that funny. I mean the poor guy in the furry suit ended up with a bloody nose. (click here to read story)

It reminded me of the other day when I posted about dream jobs. One of my dream jobs is (was) to be a character (preferably Cinderella or Snow White) at one of the Disney properties. My friend Shelly, a talented juggler, character actress, and Disney enthusiast, said she'd heard too many horror stories about 'characters' getting roughed up to want that job.

Now why would someone want to attack a 'character' whose purpose is to bring joy? I don't get it. Those of you who visit this blog regularly know that I've done a lot of character work. I've appeared as a princess, mermaid, bumble bee, pumpkin, fairy... The list goes on. Not once was I ever attacked by an overbearing kid or deranged adult. Thank goodness. However, I've worked with other 'characters' who suffered incidents from time to time. All I can say is, "SHAME ON ANYONE WHO TORMENTS A COSTUMED CHARACTER!"

Contrary to popular belief, it's not the easiest job in the world. Whether it's the professional who does this year round, or the teenager who needs extra money and dons a bunny suit at the mall, or the senior who gets a kick out of being Santa once a year and listening to little kids wishes--these folks have one thing in common. Their goal is to bring joy, to make someone smile. What a wonderful thing that is!

Okay. I'm done. I guess I just needed to get that out of my system. Bryon Johnson (the pummled bunny), kudos on keeping your cool and not fighting back. Hope your bruises heal quickly.

Comments

Mary Stella said…
One of my co-workers was the first person to portray "Belle" at Disney World. I've never heard her talk about horror stories. However, she's such an upbeat, positive person -- reminds me a lot of you, B -- that she might not mention them to us.

B, I hate to squash a dream, but I think there is now a minimum height requirement of 5' 6" or 5' 7" for the women who play the Disney princesses so that they don't have to stock costumes with different hem lengths, etc. Sorry!
Beth Ciotta said…
That's why I amended the 'is' to 'was' a dream, M. I also learned that heavy physical restrictions apply.

Also, it now falls into the 'it would have been cool if it happened', but 'those days are gone', dreams. LOL

So envious of your Belle! :-)
flchen1 said…
Oh goodness! We just did a Disneyland trip and I had all sorts of ponderings about the actors who suit up for the parades, shows, and meet-and-greets... I can't imagine how someone could attack a costumed person!

And it IS too bad about the physical restrictions--there are some for other performers, like Rockettes, right? *sigh*
Beth Ciotta said…
Hi flchen1!

So envious about your trip to Disneyland. Did you have a blast?

I actually tried out for Disney Tokoyo when it first opened many moons ago. I'll have to blog about that audition. ;)

As for the Rockettes, I do believe there are height restrictions as the line has to look 'just so'. :0)

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Holidays!

Happy Thanksgiving!

The Reality of it All