Arrrrrgh!

Sorry I've been absent. Suffering from a lingering chest cold and something I very rarely ever wrestle with....

Writer's Block.

Given my looming deadline, this is not good. It's complicated by the upcoming release of EVERYBODY LOVES EVIE. I'm coordinating promo. I'm excited about this book getting into the hands of readers. I'm googling reviews. Checking my pre-sale rankings numbers. Must stop. Must concentrate on the manuscript of the moment. The story is in my head. I just have to get it out. Reminds me of one of my favorite movies/sceenplays: SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE. Written by Marc Norman and Tom Stoppard. When the movie starts, Will is horribly blocked. He's been payed to write a play. The people who 'contracted' him want to know where it is with the project. His standard reply? (tapping his forehead) "It's all in here."
I'll be away for a couple (possibly few) days getting my act together. In the meantime hop over to Emmy award-winning writer Ken Levine's blog and check out his 1/8 nd 1/9 posts on Overcoming Writers Block.
"A reader asked how you overcome writers’ block. Unfortunately, there is no easy answer. Different writers use different methods. So instead of just sharing my approach I thought I’d ask a few working writers for their take. One said, “Music, crying, and/or Ativan. Any one, but preferably all.” Here are the others. Many thanks to the contributing scribes."
Those scribes include writers from some of my all-time favorite TV sitcoms. Perhaps I should work my way down the list and see what, if anything, works for me. Or I could get off the Internet and focus.
Yeah. That sounds smart. Focus.
"I'm not one of those people who "hate writing". I just hate getting started. And you have to write 'something', even if it's bad, in order to have 'something' you can make better." ~~BILL KELLY (ENCHANTED)

Comments

Jordan Summers said…
I find watching movies helps. Especially movies that I'd like to change parts of. I allow myself to imagine how I would've written the ending of say cough***Pirates 3***cough. That seems to get the juices flowing. :)

I feel your pain. I just had to scrap a huge chunk of the book I've been writing and start over. Did I mention the book is due Mar. 1st. Gulp.
flchen1 said…
Hugs, Beth! Hope you're feeling better fast, and may the block melt away as well, letting the story out of your brain and onto the pages! Take care of yourself, and thanks for the update!
Julia Templeton said…
When I get into a writing slump, I have a tendency to read a book from my favorite author shelf. It usually always gets the creative juices flowing again.
Sending mega-inspiration your way!!!!
Beth Ciotta said…
That's interesting, Jordan. I remember sitting through one movie, a romantic comedy that turned out to be a major disappointment, noting (to myself) all the places the screenwriter or director went wrong and how I would have handled it instead. That's the ONLY time I ever did that... through an entire movie anyway. Endings? I know there have been many I would have rewritten--but only beacuse I wanted a happy ending. LOL

Sorry to hear about your major cut. Best of luck with the rewrite!!
Beth Ciotta said…
The cough is better, flchen1 and I'm working on the 'meltage'. :) Thank you!!

Hi Julie! Funny you should recommend that. I started a Julie Garwood book last night. Love her. :) Thank you for sending the mega-inspiration. I need it! Can you send me more hours in the day, too??
steve said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gabriele C. said…
Writer's Block and deadlines have a way to go hand in hand, don't they? And I hate the latter even without the first.

Good luck overcoming the block.
Tasnim said…
I love to read about your experiences! You write beautifully! I have enjoyed reading your articles. They are very well written. It looks like you spend a large amount of time and effort in writing the blog. I am appreciating your effort.
changeparts

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Thanksgiving!

I've Moved!

The Reality of it All