A Day Off and a Fresh Start

After months of juggling the writing gig, library gig, and once-in-a-blue-moon entertainment gig, yesterday I took an honest to gosh day off. I actually drove off of this tiny island I call home and on to the mainland. There's a whole world out there!

I started by visiting a dear friend who was recently the victim of a freak accident. Actually two of my dearest friends suffered freak accidents in the same week. Fortunately, both will be okay. My one friend lives across the US, making a day visit impossible, but she's in my thoughts like crazy. The other lives a couple of towns over. I took Christmas cookies. She made the coffee. The visit wasn't near long enough, yet it did wonders for my soul. Nothing tops time with friends and family. Life is too short, folks. Always make time for those you love.

After a teary goodbye, I ran some errands then did some shopping. I must admit I made the shopping trip all about me. I've had birthday money burning a hole in my pocket for two months. Two pairs of shoes, a pair of jeans, two funky cardigan sweaters and four t-shirts later, I drove home and cleaned house. Not only that, I rearranged the living room and put up just enough Christmas decorations to give us the holiday spirit. After that I did a little Chistmas shopping on-line and decided that's the way to go this year since I probably won't get another free day in December. But boy did I make the most out of yesterday!

On the work front, as of today I'm working full force on the third book in the HQN series featuring 'Evie'. The deadline's creeping up, so if I'm a little scarce...

Tripped upon author Cherry Adair's website. Um. WOW. Check it out. Impressive, no?
Speaking of cool things, I have something in the works that I hope to share in a couple of days. So be sure to hop back for a visit.

Quote of the day (week).

"Planning to write is not writing. Outlining . . . researching . . . talking to people about what you’re doing, none of that is writing. Writing is writing. -- E. L. Doctorow

Errr. Guess I should get to it.

Comments

flchen1 said…
Wow, Beth--what a packed day! Sounds like you were able to spend some time with people and doing things to refresh your soul a bit :)

Best wishes with book 3! The quote reminded me a little of Yoda, I think. Didn't he say something like, "There is no try, only do or not do!"?

At least you're surrounded by your clean, decorated home now--ahhh :)
Beth Ciotta said…
Quoting Yoda!! I love it, flchen1!
Here's another...

[Luke:] I can’t believe it. [Yoda:] That is why you fail.”

I BELIEVE Evie 3 is going to fly off my fingertips!
flchen1 said…
Fly, Evie 3, fly!! :)

(It's a bit hard to avoid quoting Yoda in our house--I have several little die-hard Star Wars fans... ;))
Roni said…
Wow Beth! You did a lot on your "day off!" Hope oyur friend feels better. And shopping is always cool. Then you cleaned--where do you get the energy?
You should definitely try to schedule another day off to just rest.

Popular posts from this blog

I've Moved!

Happy Thanksgiving!