Candy and Cookies and Snacks--Oh, My!

'Tis the season and many of our loyal patrons at the library are gifting us (the staff) with candy, cookies, and assorted festive snacks--many of the offering homemade. I knew I was in trouble when my boss told me it was safer to eat three of the bakery sugar cookies as opposed to one of the homemade cookies--as the homemade concoction was all sugar and butter and chococolate and toffee and ... well, really fattening. She knew as she had asked for the recipe a few years back. Of course that didn't stop her from making her own batch. Nor did it stop me (or any of us) from eating a couple. Oh, my, God. Heaven.

Then there was the homemade chocolate fudge and the peanut butter cup tucked in a chocolate chip cookie. *drool* I'm trying to practice restraint. A nibble here and there. But, gosh, it's hard! I keep telling myself it's once a year. I don't eat sweets like that year round. Once a year or not, I'm sure I'll regret the nibbling January 2 and ten pound heavier. Time to drag out the exercise bike!

I admire women who toil over homemade sweets. I'm not gifted in the baking area. I'm missing a good many cooking genes, period.

When I was growing up, my Grandma Childers made annual Christmas goodies. Her specialty was popcorn balls and caramels. Even thinking about the taste of those caramels (a very unique taste) makes my mouth water. No doubt it was all butter and sugar and maple syrup and whatnot. You know--pure fat. But it was a delightful treat that I always treasured and that I will always remember.

What about you? Any holiday sweet memories to share?

Comments

Jordan Summers said…
Without a doubt it was my grandma's sugar fudge and baked pie dough left over from mom's pies. YUM!
Mary Stella said…
We have a table full of sweet treats in the office right now and, consequently, are suffering carb overload every night. It's impossible to resist the stuff when it's out in front of you allll the time.

I posted the story of making Italian fig cookies with my grandmother over at BabesinBookland.com blog this week.
Beth Ciotta said…
Jordan and Mary, those sound like delectable treats indeed. Just THINKING about more sweets added two more inches to my hips. Yikes. And for the record, I've been pretty good today. Although a chocolate covered pretzel is calling my name. :)
flchen1 said…
Mmm... I do love sweets, and this time of year is chock-full of them (yay!) :) BK (Before Kids), I actually took the time to bake from scratch--usually some of these varieties: chocolate chip, Mexican wedding cookies, gingersnaps, peanut butter blossoms, snickerdoodles, and sugar cookies. Now we're currently reduced to baking from premade stuff. I figure in a year or two maybe the kids can help, and it'll be a fun thing to do together... and eat together! ;)
Beth Ciotta said…
Ah... How could I forget SNICKERDOODLES?! I love those things. Great name. Great taste. My other grandma used to make those. flchen1, you're a huge step ahead of me. At least you used to bake when you could. I have NEVER baked. So what are peanut butter blossoms? They sound tasty!
flchen1 said…
Oh, if I have the name right, peanut butter blossoms are basically a peanut butter cookie that you plant a chocolate kiss smack in the middle of--like these:
http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipes/detail.asp?id=5191

(Hope that link works...)

Beth, maybe I can bake (occasionally) but you--you can write!!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Holidays!

Happy Thanksgiving!

The Reality of it All