On Writing: Current Location--Deadline Hell

And still I toil.

I lifted that from Scott Oden who, like me, is wrestling with a manuscript that's overdue. Unlike me, Scott reserves at least one night a week to refill his creative well. Smart. I have not been doing that and I'm feeling it. However, I am closing in on the end and when I get there you will hear my joyous shout even if you live half way around the world.

Speaking of other places and people.... Ken Levine blogs about the Writers Guild strike from a front line/picket line perspective. It's so easy to get swept away by an actor's magnificent performance, often forgetting (or in some viewers' instances, I'm sure, never considering) that a writer or team of writers put those hysterical or gut-wrenching or thought-provoking words in thy gifted actor's mouth. Please keep these hard working and mega-talented TV/screen writers in your thoughts and hope that they get terms they deserve. For more on the Writers Guild strike check out The Huffington Post.

My blog-hopping has diminished to a quick, once-in-a-blue-moon fly-by. Although I confess to reading Neil Gaiman's blog every day. I can't help it. The man is fascinating and inspiring. Just now, especially since the creative well is nearly dust dry, I need all the inspiration I can get.

Which brings me to my last blip of sharing. Aware of the previously mentioned 'dry well', yesterday, instead of jotting notes about the deadline book during random downtime at the day-job, I started reading a new book instead. F. Paul Wilson's latest in his Repairman Jack series: Bloodline. Nothing at all like what I'm writing, but exactly the kind of writing that inspires and motivates me! I had the pleasure of speaking on a panel alongside this talented author at Heather Graham's writers' conference this past September. Since I had just read and been blown away by his previous novel Harbingers, I was especially pleased to meet Paul in person. I'm happy to report he's incredibly down-to-earth and a genuine delight. Don't you just hate it when you meet someone you admire and they turn out to be a jerky?

Anyhoo, rambling now. Must go toil.

So what's everyone up to? What are you working on? What are you reading?

Comments

Roni said…
I took out a book I started a year and a half ago and put aside to work on another book (which my editor told me she's buying when I saw her at the conference) and am easing back into that. Also revising an older book. As far as reading...I finished Eloisa Jame's "Desperate Duchesses" (a witty historical regency full of subplots) and started Heather Grahams' "The Seance" (another wonderful, spooky romantic suspense by a master writer). In fact, I'm done working for the night and after writing this I'm going to read it now!
barb said…
Hello,
Right now I am reading several short romances. most of them are holiday driven. Light reads but fun. I also read a couple frokm auther Debbie Macomber. I really enjoyed them.

We had our first parent/teacher conference for Jax last night and all I can say is "OH MY!". I love him but he will make me prematurely gray. Oh wait, i already am.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Thanksgiving!

I've Moved!

The Reality of it All