On Writing: Flying High In The Zone

Having an excellent writing day. Totally in 'the zone'. Wrote ten pages with relative ease. I was motivated. Inspired. Okay. It took me all day and it involved the secondary romance and sub-plot, but hey, it was fun. Not funny per se, although, yeah, some of the dialogue made me smile. Dialogue. Lots of dialogue in this chapter. My strength. And you know what? When I hit a point I needed to research, I used a question mark and highlighted it. I rarely do that. Usually need to know then and there. But not today. Today it's all about getting the story down. Go, go, go equaled progress and a feeling of accomplishment.

Now I have to go back and write a scene I skipped. Didn't know I'd skipped a scene until I emailed Cyndi the previous chapter for her thoughts and she commented on what she thought might follow. Which was something that had crossed my mind but I ignored because I was inspired to write the 'fun' chapter. I'm glad I skipped ahead, again, something I rarely do, because I'm revved by what I accomplished today. It's a keeper. And now I can attack the more emotional, deeper scene, the one that I skipped, knowing even if I only find my way through a paragraph or two, I completed ten other pages!

So off I go to attempt that skipped scene. Cyndi and I brainstormed and I feel very good about the result. Now if I can translate it into story form....

Question for the writers out there. Do you ever write out of sequence?

Comments

Cynthia said…
I often write out of sequence, especially when I'm first working on a project. Sometimes I'm just in a mood to write one scene over another. I've learned one important thing on this journey of writing it's that I have to write what's in my head and that isn't always the next scene on the outline. Hell, the story I'm writing now, the one I'm using for Alison Kent's challenge I have the barest of outlines for. I'm letting the characters lead me on this one. When the challenge is done I'll sit down and create a more structured outline.

When everything is said and done, isn't the writing what's important? I mean, does it really matter that your not writing in order as long as your writing?
Tori Lennox said…
I used to write out of sequence all the time. I don't do it as much anymore, though.
Bethany said…
Yes often. I used to NOT want to do it. Thinking I could write a first draft well {SNORT). But soon learned that the Comments feature in Word was glorious. And allowed me to do what you do... splurge ahead and then go back and massage.
Beth Ciotta said…
Cynthia, Tori, and Bethany, thank you for chiming in. I always enjoy hearing how other writers operate.

Typically I can't write out of sequence because, for me, one thing leads to another. But in this instance, it was sub-plot and didn't interrupt my flow with the primary characters. Like Cynthia said... as long as I'm writing. :)
charleneteglia said…
I write out of sequence all the time. Hey, just because you read it in order doesn't mean you have to write it that way! *g*
Roni said…
I don't purposely write out of sequence. I believe in forging ahead, even if I know it's not written well. That works for me. However, when I go back to revise, I've often realized another scene is needed and I write it then. In my latest book, I realized there was a crucial scene needed showing the hero's changing emotions so I wrote it before finishing my revisions.
FeyRhi said…
So far, in my limited experience, I can say I am all over the place while writing a first draft. Nothing is in sequence, but while working on my second draft I start from the beginning to then end. If something isn't working then I move on figuring I'll fix it during my 3rd draft. *G* I figure 5 or 6+ drafts and I might have it done.
steve said…
I have a tendency to write basically in sequence, but with wild occasional swings into non-linearity. But I find my work is much more fragmented and needs much more tweaking when I write out of sequence like that.

In other news, I applaud you putting down question marks on the stuff you needed to research. I think the reason you got 10 pages done is that you didn't succumb to the temptation to research, which can lead to a lot of distraction. Kudos! Here's to the next 10!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Thanksgiving!

I've Moved!

The Reality of it All