Monday, July 30, 2007

On the Fly: The Veggie Snitch

Although I grew up in farm country, I've never had a knack for growing vegetables. Perhaps I should say... the desire. Although I have fond memories of the huge garden my grandpa had and then later my mom. Fresh corn, green beans, snap peas, onions, radishes... tomatoes. Yum. I remember sitting in the backyard shucking corn and snapping peas with my grandma. She was a talker and she was fun. But I digress...

My boss at the library also happens to be my neighbor. She has an amazing garden. This year she gifted Steve and I with tomatoe plants. We planted them in the backyard where we usually plant flowers. Boy, did they grow! I got so excited when I saw actual tomatoes hanging off the stems! There's a mix of little tomatoes (cherry?) and big tomatoes. (By the way, this picture isn't of our plant, but it looks close.)

The big tomatoes are still very green, but some of the smaller ones turned red a few days ago. I was so thrilled. I picked them and brought them inside. I put them in a container and set them on a table in the sun. I remember my mom doing that so that they would ripen just a tad more. My mouth watered just thinking about how our first garden tomatoes were going to taste.

The next morning I found the container knocked over. At first I blamed Sadie (our cat). She's very playful and I could imgaine her batting over the little container. I imagined tomatoes hitting the floor and rolling under the table. I looked and... no tomatoes. Gone without a trace. I knew Sadie wouldn't eat them. I knew Chyenne, our younger dog wasn't tall enough to get them off the table nor would she eat them. She doesn't like veggies. But Billie ...
Billie will eat anything you drop on the floor... raw broccoli, onions, mushrooms... Or anything you leave on the counter... bagels, bread, bbq sauce.... We have learned to be cautious. Except I forgot the day I set the tomatoes on the table. I don't know when she got them, but I know it was her and she ate every last one! I know for a fact because when I cleaned up her doo-doo in the backyard there was evidence! Guilty as charged!
Sigh. So Billie got the first and only taste of our first homegrown tomatoes. Steve and I are still waiting for more to ripen. Hopefully, she won't beat us to it and eat them right off the vine.
What's the strangest thing your pet ever ate?

12 comments:

Cynthia said...

Silly dog story huh? Okay.

We always gave our dog Teddy ice cream, real ice cream, just one scoop. But you couldn't put it in his food dish in the kitchen. Oh the look of "how dare you" he'd give you. His ice cream had to go in a separate dish and be set in the living room. Because we ate our ice cream in the living room so he had to too.

Now, if you put it in his special dish but left it in the kitchen he would eat it. First he'd stare at you from the kitchen for a minute or two. Once he got the hint, and it never took him long, he would eat in the kitchen. Of course he'd lick it out of the bowl then lick the scoop of ice cream all over the kitchen floor. He'd leave this melted ice cream trail all over our little kitchen. Did I mention we had dark tile on the kitchen floor? Yeah, you get the visual.

Mary Stella said...

Strangest thing that Moe ever ate? Sweat socks. He had a bad habit as a younger dog of grabbing my socks, making me chase him for them, and choking them down while I was in pursuit. The first time, I freaked out and rushed him to the vet for emergency care. They gave him something to induce vomiting and up came the sock. I quickly learned how to do the same and I grew obsessive about keeping socks and similar items out of his reach!

Roni said...

Hmmm...well, I guess your dog likes veggies. Most of my dogs hated them (except for potatoes and corn). Sable actually likes baby carrots!

flchen1 said...

No pets, so no odd pet diet stories, but just wanted to say that I hope you'll get to try your own home-grown tomatoes soon! Mmmmmm... :)

Beth Ciotta said...

Cynthia, what a great story! I can envision the whole thing. Hee! Love the 'special dish'. :-)

Mary, you have relayed some scary Moe eating various items stories to me. So I knew you had a good one to share. :) Cheyene has a thing for kleenex and paper towels. So weird.

Beth Ciotta said...

Roni, I think I read somewhere that raw veggies are actually good for your dog. Although we've always been told by our vet that it's best if you only feed your dog high quality dog food. No table scraps. No people food. We never intentionally give Billie people food. But she finds ways of getting it anyhow. Jeesh.

Beth Ciotta said...

flichen1, you might not have 'pets eating odd food stories', but I bet you have kid ones. :-) As to our tomatoes, I'll let you know how it goes!

Jennifer Elbaum said...

When I was a kid, we had an Irish Setter who would lie on his back and eat the string beans right off the plant (without disturbing the plant itself).

My last dog ate EVERYTHING (road kill, ick!) but had a thing for tuna. She'd literally chew on the can (she was a pit bull mix so her jaws were strong enough to do it) which resulted in a bloody mess as you can imagine.

My current dog has only stolen "people food" once. He ate the hearts of palm off my hubby's salad -- didn't touch anything else.

flchen1 said...

Yes, well, that we do... it's amazing (horrifying, really ;)) what kids will put into their mouths. I'll spare everyone details this time :)

Gabriele C. said...

I mean, horses drinking beer and coke sorta makes sense, but those anti cough candies that taste mint and eucalyptus? The mare I co-owned with a neighbour not only ate them, she moved them around in her big mouth and let them melt. A horse whose breath smelled eucalyptus and mint, lol.

Beth Ciotta said...

Jen, I loved that story about the Irish Setter! What a hoot! As for dog 2 and the road kill--Ack! But tuna, eh? That's a new one. Sounds like the new pup is more of a veggie eater. :-)

flchen1--no deatils??? You tease!

Beth Ciotta said...

Gabriele, totally unique story there. Also a hoot! Not so much that the horse ate the cough drops but that she liked to let them melt in her mouth. Hee! My dog, Billie (the veggie eater) as I said will eat anything. I always know when she's rooted in my purse because her breath smells like Halls lemon cough drops! Maybe we should introduce her to your horse. :-)