RT and Life As I Know It

Last week I attended the Romantic Times Booklovers Convention in Houston, TX. I signed on this morning with the intention of blogging about my experiences at RT. But my experiences are unique in that, as a professional performer, I’m always involved in various productions and therefore spend much of the time behind the scenes in rehearsals.

In years past I have written and directed the Mr. Romance Competition—a huge undertaking. Hats off to those who have taken over this role. In fact, let me say a huge THANK YOU to everyone who works behind the scenes in one or another capacity. Your time and dedication to providing an exciting convention is much appreciated!

Back to my unique experience… Last year I performed in three RT productions. I sang and recited poems at the Fairy Ball, acted in Heather Graham’s annual Mystery Musical, and co-hosted the Mr. Romance show. This year, I only performed in the latter two. But I also taught two writing workshops with friend/author Mary Stella.

Between rehearsals, performances, and preparing for and presenting workshops, I didn’t have as much quality time to mingle nor to attend workshops, spotlight panels or morning and afternoon mixers. I’m sorry to say I even missed the awards luncheon. So I highly recommend you google ‘RT Convention’ and visit other blogs for a real taste of the overall RT experience. This isn’t to say that I didn’t benefit from attending. I was able to re-enforce old relationships and even established a few new ones. I ‘networked’, but in my own way.

Networking is a subject near and dear to my heart and if I can offer anything of value to writers who visit this blog, it’s regarding the dos and don’t of connecting with industry professionals. In light of this I have decided to write a series of posts on effective networking. I’ll post them in early July, a few weeks before the Romance Writers of America (RWA) Convention. I am unable to attend this year, but I have attended many times in the past and know well how intimidating this business-oriented convention can be. I’m already seeing evidence of frayed nerves on the one RWA loop I belong to. Whether or not you are attending, I think you’ll find my networking tips valuable as you can utilize them at any conference. And by the way, these tips are useful in any career, not just publishing.

Now, onto a short announcement. Starting next week, I will be unable to blog on a daily basis. I haven’t decided if I’ll blog at random, depending on time and inspiration, or if I’ll choose set days, for instance every Monday and Thursday. Need to ponder that one.

Life is funny. Just when we think we’ve got our act together or at least some semblance of a routine, the spiritual-powers-that-be throw us a curve. I truly believe that everything happens for a reason, even if that reason may not be clear to us until later down the road.

As life, luck, fate would have it, this month I am going from part-time to full-time at the library. This in addition to writing and promoting two novels a year. It’s forcing me to become intensely disciplined. Rising earlier to devote time to publishing business so that I can write in the evenings after work. Many authors do this, more than you probably know. So instead of panicking, I’m thinking, if they can do it, so can I. But certain things have to give like blogging and blog-hopping daily for one. You’ll be hearing from me plenty though. No worries.

Now I have to say, with the excitement of the release of ALL ABOUT EVIE, I feel like all I’ve been doing is talking about myself. What’s new and exciting in your life? What are you writing or reading? Any trips coming up? Any new pets or wacky pet stories? Please do share!

Comments

charleneteglia said…
Beth, that's a big change. But I'm sure you're up to the challenge! Not much exciting over here, it's raining (rain forest, go figure). *g*
Beth Ciotta said…
Thanks for the encouragement, Charlene. I need it! Rain, rain go away....
chryscat said…
Beth,

I also work full-time at a library. A fact I don't advertise on my blog but wanted to share with you. *grins*
And yes...it's hard as hell. But I also know that you have the drive and discipline to accomplish just that.
You can do it! *insert cheering smiley*
Grins*
Beth Ciotta said…
Crystal, I had no idea!! Well, hello, fellow librarian. My official title is library assistant because I don't have a degree, but we are a small library so I do a lot of different things. I must say, aside from performing and writing, it's the best job I've ever had! Libraries (and librarian's) rock!
Jude said…
Hey Beth -- are you still going to post your tips for RWA National? The conference starts next week, and I would love to link to any posts on networking, etc, that you might put up.

jude
Blogging National
http://bloggingnational.blogspot.com/

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Thanksgiving!

I've Moved!

The Reality of it All