Have You Ever Felt Like A Unicorn?

When juggling a writing deadline and a fulltime day-job got tough, Alison Kent got creative by 'renting out' space on her blog. She is one smart cookie. Even though she can't be there, she's giving her readers a strong incentive to return daily.

Blogging daily takes energy and time. I know I'm finding it difficult to keep pace. And we're not the only authors struggling. Author PJ Parrish is leaving blogosphere. Her post is heartfelt and I very much understand her decision, although she will be missed! JA Konrath, who blogged consistently for months and months and with stunning zeal, was conspicuously absent for the past several weeks as he wrote back-to-back books. He returned today with a post that struck me as keenly as Parrish's. We may write in different genres, but we tick the same artisically.

Having now worked in both the entertainment and publishing industry, it's more clear to me than ever that the majority of artists, whether they are driven to create music, art or literature, share like motivations, passions, obsessions, quirks, concerns... I wrote an essay once: Creative People -- A Breed Apart. A heartfelt ramble about my creative journey. Even at the age of five, I knew I was somehow different from most of the people around me. The first line of the essay sums up my general mindset: Have you ever felt like a unicorn in a herd of horses?

To all of the other unicorns out there, I'd like to say thank you for blogging when you can and for sharing your thoughts and insights, your ups and downs. It helps to remind me that I am not alone, but part of a unique herd. It helps to keep life in perspective.

Which brings me back to Alison's blog and her recent guest bloggers. If you haven't been there recently, treat yourself and skim the posts from the past 2-3 weeks. Readers and writers alike have been treated to some amazing posts. I particularly enjoyed contributions by Deborah Smith, Nora Roberts, and Susan Wiggs because they offered thoughts and experiences that personally resonated with me. Several other authors also had me smiling and nodding or thinking, "You, too?" It's been great.

Today, Shanna Swendson offers entertaining though disturbing thoughts on marketing. Honing in on placement in bookstores, I'm probably in the same boat as she is. Meaning I may not be one of the lucky few whose books are prominantly displayed on the 'new release' table as soon as you walk through the door.


On May 1st, when you rush your local bookstore to snatch up your very own copy of ALL ABOUT EVIE (*g*), you may have to make your way to the back of the store. Don't be distracted by the bestsellers (another *g*). Keep going. Wondrous, compelling, entertaining reads await you in the romance section. Midlist authors. New authors. We're all there together, a herd of unicorns in alphabetical order. You can find ALL ABOUT EVIE in the 'Cs' under Ciotta. Yes, that's a blatant plea for you to buy my book.
You can find Shanna's DAMSEL UNDER STRESS in the S's under Swendson. Lara Adrian's KISS OF MIDNIGHT is n the A's. Then swing over to the YA section and look under 'P' for Kelly Parra's romantic blockbuster, GRAFFITI GIRL.

We're all May 1 releases. I've never met Lara or Shanna or Kelly in person, but I'm betting, just about now, we're all suffering the same artistic excitement and anxiety. So... try us. I think you'll like us. At the very least... you'll have made a unicorn smile.

Comments

charleneteglia said…
I thought she made great points about the bookstore/grocery store comparison.

In the meantime, Evie is on my Must Buy list for May! If it doesn't show up here locally I'll be hitting Amazon.
Jordan Summers said…
JA's entry was timely for me. Thanks for the link. :)
Gabriele C. said…
Unicorn among horses? A mule, rather. I've been bullied all through my school time. I like opera, didn't want to kiss boys at the age of 14, acutally enjoyed some of the school subjects and prefered to wear skirts to jeans. That time has made me a loner, and by now I don't even care to meet people, though I function outwardly. Falling back on my creativity was probably a result of the whole mess. As is some understanding for people like Cho Seung-Hui.

Unicorns are admired, mules are kicked out. And sometimes they kick back, one way or the other. I killed some people on paper during school time, then gave up writing for 25 years because it had been more of a therapy. But the stories were always there, and one day I started writing them down again.
Beth Ciotta said…
I agree, Charlene. It was a very well written post. ;) Thanks for supporting EVIE. I (we) really appreciate it! Keeping my eye for your WILD WILD WEST. August will be here before you know it!

You're welcome, Jordan. Timely for me as well.
Beth Ciotta said…
Gabriele, I'm sorry to know that you were bullied as a kid. Please know there are many good people in the world who would never pick on someone for being different. You liked Opera? Preferred skirts? Actually, you sound like you were a pretty cool kid to me. :) I do hope you are able to find peace and joy in your writing.
Kelly Parra said…
Hey Beth, good luck with All About Evie! I'm excited to read it!!

Thanks for the mention of Graffiti Girl. Yes, I'm excited and nervous all wrapped up together. haha! I guess it's always like this?? :) :)

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Thanksgiving!

I've Moved!

The Reality of it All