Personal Taste -- The Defining Factor

Thank you to all who wrote in with their well wishes regarding the Top Pick review for All About Evie. It's so much sweeter when you can share your joy with others.

Speaking of reviews... Although I hope and wish from the bottom of my heart that everyone who reads this story will be equally delighted, my realistic side knows I'm bound to run across some tepid maybe even negative feedback. It's natural. Everything is subjective. People's taste vary on books, movies, music, vacation spots, brands of shoe... like I said, everything.
While working in the library last night, I overheard a patron saying to a co-worker, "Well, I'll have to disagree with you on this one. I didn't like it at all." He was returning a DVD, the movie Little Miss Sunshine. He hated it. She loved it. It wasn't just a guy/girl thing because I know men who loved the movie and women who could take it or leave it.

After he left, I said to my co-worker, "I loved Little Miss Sunshine. Just about the best movie I've seen all year. Brilliant writing. Stellar acting."

"Thank you," she said. And we proceeded to talk about why this little movie was so fabulous and why perhaps some people thought the exact opposite.

While googling yesterday, I ran across a reader's comment on one of the Harlequin boards regarding All About Evie. She must've received an advanced reading copy for some reason. I was thrilled when she announced she really enjoyed the read. "Light-hearted with a thread of suspense." She also mentioned that it was in 1st person, something some people may not like.

That's the thing I braced myself for months ago. I know 1st person isn't popular with a lot of romance readers. What's more, this story isn't totally in first person. Portions are in 3rd. Not everyone's cup of tea. But that's okay. Some people, like this reader, the RT reviewer, my agent, my CPs, and everyone at HQN loved Evie as is. So I have to believe there will be plenty more. Just like there was an audience for Little Miss Sunshine there will be an audience for my quirky tale. Not that the two stories are alike in any way whatsoever, but you get my point. Not everyone likes mint chocolate chip ice cream, but some do.

Okay. So here I am sounding all logical and grounded about opinions, but that doesn't mean I won't cringe when/if I read negative reviews about my work. Of course I'll feel the blow of disappointment. I'm human. But the trick is to shake off the hurt and move on, quickly. A friend once told me that when you receive a rejection or a bad review (which is the same as being rejected) to allow yourself to wallow in disappointment or hurt for one day. One day. That's it. Then move on. I believe that to be excellent advice. Luckily, I've been able to do just that for the past several years. Sometimes I don't even wallow a whole day.
I'm rambling about this today, because I know how easy it is to become paralyzed when someone attacks your work, no matter what that work may be. Don't let this happen to you. Feel the sting, wallow for a day, move on, and revel in those who enjoy what you have to offer.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone." ~~Bill Cosby

Comments

Reel Fanatic said…
"Little Miss Sunshine," while maybe not the best movie of 2006, was easily its most charming ... For me, it's almost a litmust test ... If you don't like this movie, you're going to be hard-pressed to convince me of why
Roni said…
I haven't seen many movies the last few years, including Little Miss Sunshine. Maybe I'll rent it.
You have a good attitude, Beth!
Beth Ciotta said…
Hi, Reel Fanatic, and welcome. 'Charming' is an excellent way to describe "Little Miss Sunshine". I laughed. I cried. Seriously. The negative comments I hear are ones that make me think... "You don't get it. That was the point." Jeesh.

Roni, it's a quirky film, a character driven film, and so worth while. I would say it's a family film--as there are many life lessons to be learned--but the prolific use of the F-word discourages me from recommending to the very young. Watch it with an open mind. It's top-notch storytelling.
Mary Stella said…
I have Little Miss Sunshine at home from Netflix and plan to watch it this weekend. I'll let you know what I think.
Jill said…
Congrats on your great review! And I love that Cosby quote ...
Beth Ciotta said…
Mary, let me know what you think.

Jill... Hiya!! And thank you so much. I'm still over the moon. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Thanksgiving!

I've Moved!

The Reality of it All