Getting to Know You

In the past year I wrote two books that revolved around characters from previous books. Each story challenged me for different reasons, but at least I went into them with old friends, characters I'd worked with before. The first three chapters of both of those books came with relative ease. It was after that the road got rocky.

On the flip side, I am now struggling with opening chapters featuring people I don't know from Adam. Three of the things on my 'To Do' list involve new stories. I need to write a partial (three chapters and a synopsis) for two different tales. One is a stand-alone novel. The other would be the first in a series of four... hopefully. I also need to write the synopsis for the third Evie book. The Evie synop is due by the end of this month. There is no firm deadline on the other two, but my goal is to have them done by the end of March as well because I MUST dive into writing the next contracted book--deadline August 1.

There's a freedom in writing about fresh characters. You're not bound by former published descriptions or behavior. Clean slate. Sky's the limit. On the other hand, you have to go through the 'getting to know you' period. This means creating character background charts or interviewing those characters or, if you're a panster like me, diving into those chapters cold. It's kind of like a blind date. Just now I'm getting to know Kylie McGraw. I'm learning she spent most of her life putting everyone's feelings ahead of her own. All nice and good until you start resembling a door mat. I'm learning that she's reached the end of her vast and famous patience. Thus her adventure begins.

It took three dates for Kylie and I to click. And she's just one of four people I need to connect with in a short period. Those character background charts are beginning to sound tempting. *g* If blog posts become sparse over the next couple of weeks, it's because I'm busy forging new relationships.

What about you? How do you go about getting to know someone new?

Comments

ElsieHogarth said…
Whenever I try to get to know someone new I always try to find a common interest. Usually it's always BOOKS and a sense of humor. I love Historcal books about: Washington, Jefferson, Hamilton, The French Louie's, the British George's and Napoleon. My sense of humor is dry and sometimes a bit morbid but it's always great when you find someone that gets your sense of humor.
Beth Ciotta said…
Hi Elsie! So true about common interests. That's something that helps me connect with the characters I write as well--sharing a same quirk or belief. As for your sense of humor--I get you. :)

Hope to see you and stalker sister soon! It's been too long.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Holidays!

Happy Thanksgiving!

The Reality of it All