The Future of Storytelling

If you visit this blog regularly, you've probably seen my sister Barb comments now and then. She's in the middle, age wise, of my five younger sisters. She also lives in the middle of the US, far from me, unfortunately, with her husband, Larry, and two adorable kids, my neice and nephew, Logan and Jax.

The other night Barb and I were speaking on the phone and Logan (4 going on 14) got on to update me on her life. Barb had just told me about how much Logan loves books and how she's already reading entire stories on her own. Mind you she's still in pre-school and she's already tackled Dr. Seuss and is moving beyond. Logan is one smart and talented cookie! She's also a fellow artistic soul.

"When I grow up," she told me, "I'm going to write books and be an author." I was amused and impressed and flattered because, hey, that's what I do! I promised her I would buy every one of her books and read all of her stories.
I have no doubt she'll make good on her dream if being an author is still her dream several years down the line.
Who knows, maybe she'll pursue her talent for dance in which case I'll be seeing a lot of Broadway musicals. *g* Until then I'll revel in the knowledge that Logan loves to read and wants to spin her own creativity into writing books. Because of kids like her (and the parents and grandparents who inspire them to read) the art of storytelling will burn bright well into the future.


Comments

Anna Lucia said…
Go Logan! The art of storytelling will never die...

It's funny, but although I always loved to write, I never had an ambition to write books for a living. I wanted to write books, sure, or, at least, A book - but I never saw myself as someone who wrote as their main job.

I'm not sure if that was youthful pragmatism or the sound influence of caring parents...

No, my day job was always going to be something that stemmed from my love of the land. Until I worked out that I loved the land because of its unbroken ties with people...

Now I get to work with people in one of the finest landscapes in the world, for an employer that loves to use (and boast of!) my writing talents. And now I get paid to write stories, too...

Wow. When I put it like that... could this get any better?

Thank you Logan, through Beth, for reminding me how lucky I am. And good luck to you both with your respective writing careers!
Jordan Summers said…
She is a cutie. :)
Beth Ciotta said…
Anna, when you put it like that... It's the best! The best of all worlds. :) So happy for you. You're living your dreams!

Jordan, on behalf of Logan... Awww. Thanks!
Barb said…
Logan was in bed already when I came across this, but I will be sure to have her read it tomorrow. She will be just as thrilled as I was to see her face on the screen.

I hope she continues to dream and to pursue each and every one of them.
Beth Ciotta said…
Hi Barb! Hug Logan for me and tell her thank you for being an inspiration!
Gabriele C. said…
Lol, she reminds me of my niece. Mailin is 5 and already learning English. The love for languages she must have got from me; my brother sees it more as necessity and my SiL doesn't speak anything but German. But my cousin lives in the US, and her girls grow up bilingual - when they visited they got Mailin hooked on English, lol.

She's also not afraid of horses. She walks up to neighbour's Frisian like it's a Shetland pony and tells him he's not supposed to eat the salad from the wrong side of the fence.
Beth Ciotta said…
I've always heard that it's easier to learn multiple languages when you're younger. Go, Mailin!!! Sometimes I feel I've yet to master English and it's my ONLY language. I envy you, Gabriele. :) Oh, and hey, I love the bit about the salad on the wrong side of the fence. Chuckle for the day. :)
Logan said…
Dear Aunt Beth,

Thank you for writing about me. I loved seeing my pictures on the computer. I will send you one of my books as soon as I am done with it. I am working on it with my grandmother. It is called "I Love My Family".I'm done right now so bye bye from Logan
Beth Ciotta said…
Hi, Logan! You simply MUST send me 'I Love My Family!' I cannot wait to read it. Go, Logan, Goooo!

Love and hugs,
Aunt Beth

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Thanksgiving!

The Reality of it All

Happy Holidays!