The Telling Nightmare

So last night the panic really set in. Four days left to finish this book, possible I can squeeze in a few hours on the fifth day. It's going to be tight. Real tight. And aside from worrying about finishing on time there's the niggling concern--is it any good? I'm convinced no matter how many novels I write that concern will never go away. I think most writers suffer from the same anxiety. Speaking of anxiety...

Last night my subconscience reverted to my previous longtime profession as an entertainer. Specifically earlier days when I was on the road with a band. The details are bright and fresh in my head, but I have a book to finish so here's a summery only.

All the other band members were dressed and ready for the night's performance. "Do you know what time it is?" one of them says to me. I look at my watch. "Oh, my, God!" We had to leave the hotel NOW to make the performance on time. I rummage through my suitcase, find a costume and throw it on. I grab a bag, race out the door, and jump in the van. We arrive at the club and I realize I forgot to do my hair (which looks like a rats nest) or to apply makeup (you don't want to see me without makeup).

The band leader tells me I have five minutes. I root through my bag... I forgot my makeup and my curling iron! I race around asking cocktail waitresses if they have any eyeliner or lipstick that I can borrow even though I know you're not supposed to wear someone else's makeup. Someone coughs up an eye pencil, but it breaks. I run to the gift shop in hopes of lipstick but they have nada. Time's ticking. Times out. I run to the stage. The band is waiting. They look at their watches, at me. "We're late and the club owner's pissed." What can I do? I jump on stage, hair a mess, sans makeup--unpolished as it were--and start dancing.

Dream open for interpretation, folks. I'm thinking it's a no-brainer. *g*

Comments

Constance said…
Sure it's a no brainer. Despite adversity, you always deliver the goods in the end. *g* Go, Beth!

--And you weren't even naked or in your PJs onstage. Pshaw. Piece of cake. :)
Charlene Teglia said…
Don't worry, Beth, by the time it's been through edits and copyedits and has a nice cover on it, your story will have its hair done and makeup on and be ready to perform for the world. *g*
Gabriele C. said…
Hehe, I still fail maths tests in my sleep. :)

Who know, while I hate deadlines and am glad I don't have to write under pressure, they might help me to get my butt into gear.

Except that I started preparing for the final examn in Biology the night before, so that doesn't bode good for me and deadlines. ;)
Anna Lucia said…
Sheesh, even your dream's an over achiever... ggg

YOU CAN DO IT, BETH!!
Beth Ciotta said…
Constance, I like your take on the dream. True, true, about the nekkid part. I was at least spared that. :)

Charlene, that's an awesome way to look at it, Thanks!

Gabrielle, best of luck on that exam!!!

Anna, ACK! Am I an overachiever? Food for thought. :)

Thanks all for you support. Best get back to it. :)
Gabriele C. said…
Lol Beth, it's like 25 years ago. But I did make 14 out of 15 possible points. :)
Anna Lucia said…
Keep going, Beth.

Are you drinking enough water? Taking little breaks from the screen? ;-)

Thinking of you.
Julia Templeton said…
Damn that ticking clock! *g* You'll make deadline, Beth!
Anna Lucia said…
You can do it, Beth!
Beth Ciotta said…
You guys are the best! Thanks so much for the shouts of support. I am officially zombie-woman. Brain-dead. The walking-dead. Although I did squeeze in a shower today. Got blindsided by another rush deadline over the weekend on a book in another phase of the pub process. So I'm juggling. Sort of. Will check in when I can. If I have a brain. LOL Best to all!
Anna Lucia said…
Oh no, not another one! Poor Beth!

(((hugs)))

Still cheering you on, babe.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Thanksgiving!

I've Moved!

The Reality of it All