Key to Success -- Heart

Over at Living the Romantic Comedy, Billy Mernit examines the supposed death of romantic comedy. It's an excellent essay, and though it's focused on Rom-com movies, I think it translates to books as well. Hop over and read The Heart of the Matter. Here's a teaser. An observation that injected me with enough inspiration to fuel me through the rest of the week, maybe more. *g*

"...this is the point of both why the genre does seem to flail, and why it always perseveres. You have to mean it. You have to believe in the transformative powers of true love, and be invested in finding out how love can affect people. You have to be posing a question in the writing of your romantic comedy (e.g. Nora Ephron's "can a man and a woman ever really be friends?") that you passionately desire an answer to, a story that says "what does this man and this woman becoming a couple mean?" You have to, in short, be writing the story that only you can write -- not the story you think They want, or that looks like the one that's making money this weekend." -- Billy Mernit, author of 'Writing the Romantic Comedy'

Comments

Charlene Teglia said…
Sooo...it's a good thing that I've discovered my latest romantic comedy is The Velveteen Rabbit in disguise? (Love makes you real)
Constance said…
Hmm... *envisioning the chocolate in my peanut butter debate* That was an interesting article. One of the underlying themes in my latest fantasy story is "The things we do for love". If I dug deep enough, I'm sure the earlier novel has threads of "Love conquers all" running through it.

"A romantic comedy -- like any good story well told -- feels new when it's new to you."

I would add that when a romantic comedy can make me smile, or cry, or just feel for the characters, then it's a keeper. It's time we quit apologizing for wanting a HEA. :)
Beth Ciotta said…
Hi, Charlene. Love makes you real--Awesome. :)

You, go, Charlene! What's so wrong about wanting an HEA? But also want one that makes me 'feel' something, as you said. Otherwise I'm just disappointed.
Beth Ciotta said…
Oops. I meant... You, go Constance. Although I'm cheering you to Charlene. :) Need. More. Coffee.
Kelly Parra said…
That's true about writing for what only you can write. Sometimes I get sidetracked trying to please other people. haha!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Holidays!

Happy Thanksgiving!

The Reality of it All