Agent, Editors, and The Big Apple--Oh, my! (Part 1)

Head spinning. Head spinning. But, oh, (insert them music from Flash Dance) what a feeling!

Woke up at 6am yesterday to catch an 8am bus to New York City. Wondered how many layers I could get away with without looking like Ralphie's little brother in Christmas Story. The reason for my trip? A lunch meeting with my agent, Amy Moore-Benson, and my new HQN editor, Keyren Gerlach, as well as HQN editor Tara Parsons. I wanted to look professional, but it was freeeeezing!

Before boarding the bus, I purchased Tropicana Orange-ade and Strawberry Pop Tarts from the vending machine. Breakfast of champions. *g* The journey (one way) takes two and a half hours so I took along one of the books I'm reading for the RITA contest. A lovely way to pass the time.

After arriving I took a cab from Port Authority to the Harlequin offices--a 15-20 ride, depending on traffic. Have you ever ridden in an NYC taxi? Imagine a heart-pounding, nailbiting thrill ride at a theme park. Same difference.

I arrived mega early so I slipped into a nearby Starbucks and ordered a large coffee--strong and black--mid-morning beverage of the nervous author. While sitting at a corner table, bundled in layers of clothing, sipping my java, and marveling that I was in NEW YORK CITY for a PUBLISHING BUSINESS MEETING, I looked over the pitches that I had written for two new series plus a stand alone book and thought, I can't believe this is my life. Then I thought, I'm going to get tongue tied when I try to talk about these story ideas because I stink at pitching. Followed by the thought, I hope they don't think I'm a goober and don't order anything for lunch that'll stick between your teeth.

Before leaving Starbucks I took a calming breath and thought, hey, maybe they like goobers. Suddenly, I felt more energized than nervous. Although it could have been the mambo cup of bean juice.

Stay tuned for the rest of my NYC adventure....

Comments

Nancy Henderson said…
I want to hear all of it! Don't leave me hanging! I love it when you post this stuff. You did great, I'm sure. But tell us more!!!
Gabriele C. said…
I suppose in cold weather warm clothes do look professional. What agent or editor would want an author catch pneumonia and miss deadlines?
Beth Ciotta said…
Nancy, sorry to leave you hanging. Ack! More tomorrow. I swear. Nose buried in the deadline book just now.

Good point, Gabriele. *g*
Taylor said…
Oooh, this post was a serious tease! I like your Beth In The Big City story! Can't wait for Part 2!
Bethany said…
So, I've been away. And look what happens?!?! A NYC meeting? A writerly meeting... I so want to hear it all... so I can live the dream too. What fun!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Thanksgiving!

The Reality of it All

I've Moved!