Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Stuff Happens

I've spent the past two days reading the galley for ALL ABOUT EVIE. For those unaware a 'galley' is... the pre-publication copy sent to the author by the publisher for final proofreading or to reviewers for pre-publication reviews.

This is the last time I'll see a copy of this story before it goes to print. Since I turned in the original manuscript, it's been through heavy revisions, line edits, copy edits, and now production. Changes, big and small, made along the way. In the process, some typos were made (who changed "bitters" to "mitters"? LOL). Some--although read by me, my critique partners, my editor, and a copy editor--were never caught from the original draft (I had typed "shimmed" when it should've been "shimmied")

This is my chance to catch and correct any typos, including the random extra space between a period and a quotation mark. This is it folks. Talk about pressure. Because you know I'll miss something. Something that a reader will catch and wonder--how could they let that slip by? Now, more than ever, I understand "how". And now, more than ever, I understand why author Stuart Woods has a note to his readers in all of his books asking them not to contact him about typos. Basically, stuff happens. That note always cracks me up.

Anyway, I am doing my best to make sure ALL ABOUT EVIE is as error-free as possible. It means reading with an eagle eye. Fierce concentration because, at this point, I have read this story dozens of times and it's soooo easy for the eye to skim over something like shimmed.

My editor and all those at HQN have done a fabulous job in helping me make this story the very best it can be. The fact that I can still laugh at some parts after reading it a bazillion times makes me happy. *g* I do hope readers enjoy Evie's adventures as much as I do.

Tonight I'll look over the galley one more time, then it's out the door. If, in the end, you find a typo... sorry. I don't know what to say except, stuff happens. *g*

What, if any, typos stick out in your head from any former reads? Just Curious.

5 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

I'm surprised more writers don't put those kind of disclaimers in their books! :)

I've seen some real howlers, but can't think of specific examples off the top of my head.

Jennifer Elbaum said...

Hi Beth

A quick question. Do you read the finished book when it comes out?

Beth Ciotta said...

I've come across my share of howlers too, Tori, but like you, can't recall them just now.

Jen, that's an interesting question. I used to. I was so excited in the beginning, in disbelief still that I was actually published, that, yes, I would read the book in print form beginning to end. For the last couple of years, I've been so crunched for time that I never got around to reading SEDUCED or LASSO THE MOON in full after I got them in book form. I have however read sections and thought, "Did I write that?" LOL At times, it's all a blur. At some point, though, I do very much want to go back and read them all... beginning to end. :)

Anna Lucia said...

One wise woman told me to do this kind of final proof read with a ruler. You place the ruler under the line you're reading, and only move it down when you're done. It stops the mind scanning and skipping things.

My personal favourite is when "like" ends up as "lick". That can make a sentence go horribly, horribly wrong...

;-)

Mary Stella said...

In a book last year that was co-written by two fabulous authors, I noticed a fairly big error that was repeated several times. The book uses Columbia instead of Colombia when referring to the South American country. (I might not have noticed this had my editor not picked up the same error in my early ms for All Keyed Up.)

I'm positive that both authors know the correct version of Colombia, but it's one of those things that gets inexplicably changed at some point in the publishing process and nobody picked it up before print.

It sure didn't ruin my enjoyment of the book!