Stop and Smell the Dried Ink

Yesterday's post centered on the galley of ALL ABOUT EVIE (coming May 2007). I pushed hard to finish that process as quickly as possible--though this does not mean to imply I did a rush job--so that I could return my time and attention to BEING EVIE (working title), the sequel, due into HQN mid-February.

Yesterday afternoon, I received line edits for ROMANCING THE WEST (coming July 2007) from my other publisher, Medallion Press. Yes, I am blessed. I have two publishers. Although this means I have double deadlines. No, I'm not complaining.

My first thought was, OMG, I'm still finishing up the galley on AAE and I only have a week to complete the line edits on RTW. My second thought--after skimming the line edits for RTW--was OMG, thank God, the line edits are pretty light. If I push hard, I can tackle this in two days.
So... after returning home from work at the library, I dug in. I finished the galley for ALL ABOUT EVIE and then dug into the line edits for ROMANCING THE WEST. I worried that I might have a bit of trouble adjusting quickly from contemporary 1st person to historical western 3rd person, but I did not. The first few pages of RTW sucked me in and teleporated me back to the American wild west and a set of characters that I adore. I've been away from that story for so long, I'd forgotten how much I loved it. In fact, I'd forgotten much of what I had written! It was almost like reading the story for the first time. I can't tell you how relieved I am that, although I was working, I was able to read for enjoyment. My joy doubled upon receiving a late evening email from my editor, Helen Rosburg, and learning how much she loved the story.

Last night instead of tossing and turning with insomnia, worrying about the book that's due in February and the revised proposal that I've been promising my agent for over a month, I slept soundly. Go figure. So unlike me. Sure, some of it was probably due to exhaustion, but I think mostly it was do to contentment. I'm terribly proud and excited about ALL ABOUT EVIE and ROMANCING THE WEST, two very different books, both coming out this year. I hope they'll win readers' hearts as they won mine.

For the workaholics out there (like me), as you're pressing forward, always strive to take a moment to look back on what you've accomplished. Let that sense of pride propel you forward. You know the old saying about 'roses'. In the case of writers.... Stop and smell the dried ink.

Comments

ElsieHogarth said…
Hi Beth, Happy New Year! Lots of good health, happiness and love to you, Steve and the beautiful pets.

Wow, Beth you're like the energizer bunny. I've been catching up on my blog reading today. Since during the holidays, I really didn't have time to be on the computer. It's a good thing...being busy now because you will enjoy the benefits later...like when the books are published and we get your books and can read them.
Cyn said…
I'm glad that you stopped to smell the ink. Both stories are unique and wonderful!

Love, C
Beth Ciotta said…
Hi Elsie! Thanks for the awesome well wishes The same to you!

Cyndi, that's high praise indeed! Thank you my wonderful critique partner and friend. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Thanksgiving!

I've Moved!

The Reality of it All