Reflecting Your Art


I'd like to thank everyone who chimed in yesterday regarding my photo shoot and the two pictures I'd passed on. Your enthusiastic response to the location shot of me in black convinced me to indeed use that photo... just not now.

When promoting one's self I believe it's important to be true to the product you are hawking. Brand, brand, brand. My published books thus far and those in the contracted future are classified as Romantic Comedy with a Twist of Suspense (my brand). Even my historical westerns fall under this umbrella. Since I want to convey 'what-you-see-is-what-you-get', I opted for 'fun and flirty'. I think this look works well with the HQN cover for All About Evie as well as with any of my release with Medallion Press.

Also, while surfing the author photos at the Harlequin site along with several romance readers' websites, I noticed that they generally crop tight, from the shoulders up. That would work fine for both of these photos, whereas the location shoot photo works best full-length. You see, there is a method to my madness. *g* I'm sending the photo with the light background to HQN and the photo with the dark background to Medallion Press. A slightly different look for each of my publishers. I'll be using both on my website along with a select few others.

As for the popular shot in black (scroll down to yesterday's post), it's perfect for the paranormal series proposal I'm currently working on. For now I'll use that picture for creative visualization. "I will need this photo. I will sell the series."

Where do you stand on publicity photos as a reflection of one's art? Any examples of photos that you consider hits or misses?

Comments

ElsieHogarth said…
Beth, I like the idea that you are going to use different photos for the different genres that you will be writing in (black for Romantic Suspense etc.) The outfit you are wearing goes very well with the Evie cover.
Julia Templeton said…
Love all the pictures, Beth. They're gorgeous! I admit when I saw the fun & flirty photos I thought to myself, now that's the Beth I know and love. Don't get me wrong! I think the shot in black is sexy and smart. Kind of Sex in the City...but I still love the quirky pics.
And as to promo shots in general...I like a more natural look compared to glamour.
I thought glamour was the way to go after I sold my first book. My father brought one of the pics up on his computer and my mother asked who it was :0. Seriously!
So sad....
I quickly replaced that pic with another my daughter took of me. No pancake makeup to hide those freckles. That was a few years ago, and I need new shots...soon.
Tori Lennox said…
I love all the pictures! :)
Anonymous said…
Pictures? I need to get pictures taken?

[yes. I am completely ignoring that SOMEDAY I will need to pose for professional photos. As of yet. Not done. Though, I should. The visualization point could be helpful right now.]

p.s. LOVE the shots. Personally, the one with the black background is my favorite so far! ;-)
Beth Ciotta said…
Hi Elsie! I like different looks for different sub-genres as well. For instance the photo Nora Roberts uses for her more traditional romance and what she uses when she writes as JD Robb are very different and reflect the stories very well. :)
Beth Ciotta said…
Waving across the US to Julie! Hello my friend. So glad you like the pics. Regarding you, I know what picture you're talking about. The one on your website. It does show your freckles come to think of it. Personally I love that photo as I think Korie captured the inner you well. :)
Beth Ciotta said…
Thank you, Tori!!

Bethany, sensing you're really dreading getting your headshot done. LOL Seriously though, I really do believe in creative visualization. See it, be it. :)
Mary Stella said…
Over the years, I realize that I believe authors should invest in professional headshots. Some of the ones taken by friends or family are very good (like the ones that Steve took of you, B), but there is something extra in a pro shot and that's important for the author brand/image/etc.

What I like the least in author shots are poses where women have a hand under the chin to disguise extra flesh. I have that extra flesh and a good photographer put me in a pose that helps reduce it. I don't think that all double-chinnage should be photo-shopped out. We are who we are, after-all, but discreet airbrushing can minimize without making us false to ourselves.

For me to say that takes a lot because I hate having my own picture taken. LOL

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Holidays!

Happy Thanksgiving!

The Reality of it All