Living The Dream

For those of you wondering if I've abandoned yet another exercise program... No, I have not. I cycled 6 out of 7 days last week: 5 minute sessions. Yesterday, I did 6 minutes and lived to tell the tale. My heart's getting stronger and I'm noticing a difference in my body. Yay, me!

Yesterday I wrote an upcoming article for Romancing the Blog. That took me all morning. Then I attempted the one-page bio as requested by the PR dpt. at HQN (Harlequin). That took me all day! Trying to wrangle my professional life onto one page and making 'me' seem like this really dynamic person (Hence her book must be really awesome. Go buy it!) is about as fun and daunting as writing an eight-page story synopsis.

Just before 5pm, I received an email from HQN with questions from the copy editor regarding a few points in ALL ABOUT EVIE. I addressed those and then, finally around 6pm, I opened the file of my WIP. I'm really pleased that I actually managed to write two new pages because at that point.... Brain. Mush.

A phone call from my sister, Barb made me smile. She said, "It took me a year, but I finally figured out what WIP means." She guessed right. Work In Progress. It's an abbreviation used by writers. At least most of the writers I know. Her realization reminded that not every one who visits this blog is a writer. (Sorry, if I'm ever cryptic!) Then we talked about 'how to start a book' (She's just delving into writing. Yay!) and I was reminded of how much I knew about writing (novel construction) when I started my first book, which was NOTHING.

I thought about where I was with my writing 12 years ago, and what I tackled yesterday and had a brief 'wow' moment. Sure, I'm dazed, stressed, and overwhelmed most of the time these days, but I wouldn't trade the chaos for the world. I'm living my dream.

"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time."~~Jack London, American Author

Comments

Cyn said…
LOVE the quote!

GO, Barb!
Anonymous said…
Lol, I have MiPs - messes in progress.

Good luck to your sister.
Jordan Summers said…
The quote is great. Thanks for sharing. :)
barb said…
oh sure, tell everyone. No pressure now! love ya!
Beth Ciotta said…
Hi all! Isn't that quote the best?? Love it.

MIP -- Heh-heh

Yes, Barb. I outted you. Now you must commit. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Thanksgiving!

I've Moved!

The Reality of it All