Thursday, December 28, 2006

Creatively Speaking

Yesterday I mentioned that I recently created a page at MySpace. I also mentioned that I intend to use the MySpace blog feature for something other than conventional blogging. Why repeat myself, rambling here, rambling there? My intention is to use MySpace as a place to promote my books heavily and to network with readers and writers.

Networking to me means giving as well as benefitting. With that in mind, I've decided to use the blog feature at MySpace as a place to celebrate and shine the light on the creative people in my life. I'm calling the blog: Creatively Speaking... Conversations with Friends and Associates. Bi-weekly I'll post an interview with someone who circulates in one of my two creative worlds, entertainment or publishing. You'll get to learn a little about our personal relationship and a lot about their current or upcoming projects. I hope to feature an interesting mix of musicians and performers (actors, jugglers, magicians...) and writers, agents, and editors. My entertainment history tends to weave its way into my writing so offering my readers a further peek into that world seemed a logical and unique approach to me.

I'll launch Creatively Speaking in January. If it proves too time consuming, I'll drop down to one feature a month instead of two. In addition to spotlighting friends and associates, I'll be stretching my writing chops. 'Interviewing' is a skill I have not honed.

Two of my goals for 2007 are to broaden and strengthen my artistic talents and to promote more heavily and creatively. I also need to regain my grip on 'discipline', but that's another story. How about you? What are your professional goals for 2007?

9 comments:

Nancy Henderson said...

Yeah, welcome to My Space!!! I tried to friend you, but couldn't for some reason, maybe it's my error, not sure. If you think of it, I'll love it if you'd friend me!
www.myspace.com/nancyhenderson

Beth Ciotta said...

Hi Nancy! I just visited you at MySpace and befriended you... I hope. :) Still learning my way around that site. LOL Have a great week an A Happy New Year!

Scott Oden said...

Discipline. DisciplineDisciplineDiscipline! My professional goal is to have that word tattooed on my forehead with a ball-peen hammer, if need be. My discipline has been flagging for much of the last part of 2006, what with all the associated brouhaha of changing publishers and agents, the paralyzing fears of starting a new project, and the looming cliffs of deadline. January 2007 is D-Month: buckle down, BiC, 5 pages a day every day . . .

We'll see how that works ;)

Beth Ciotta said...

Hey, Scott. When you're done with that tattoo artist, could you send him my way? I went from being the Queen of Discipline to the King of No Focus somewhere mid-2006. Something clicked about two days ago though. Might've been the panic button. LOL But I do feel a spark of my former inner drive. Thank God. *clinking my champagne glass to your iced tea tumbler* Here's to organization and discipline in 2007.

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a FABULOUS idea! You go girl.

I am so not into MySpace. I know. I know. I know. It can market just about anything, but for once I am putting my foot down and saying no. I can only maintain so many outlets to market myself. And Myspace is one too many FOR ME.

You have more energy and determination than I do girl! And I can't wait to read what you write there!

Julia Templeton said...

Great goals, Beth! And I relate with Scott. Discipline is at the top of my list for 2007. I'm going to sit at my computer five days a week, four hours a day, and write, write, write! I'm also going to spend more money on promotion...and I might take a risk on a project that's been knocking on my door for a while. We'll see.
Here's to a phenomenal 2007!

Kelly Parra said...

Wow, sounds great, Beth! Good luck with it! Everyone's asking me this New Years res question...I'm not sure yet. haha!

Beth Ciotta said...

Bethany, we'll see how much energy and determination I have when it comes to conducting and posting the interviews. LOL As far as marketing, every artist needs to determine how much and what exactly they are comfortable doing. Knowing your limits is a good thing.

Beth Ciotta said...

Julie, it amazes me how much ou can write in a four hour span. I've seen you in action! It would take me twice that to accomplish the same page count. Bless your speedy fingers and mind. :) I, too, hope to increase my promotional budget. The trick is to determine where the money can do the most good. Let's brainstorm.

Kelly, you do something similar with the interviews. I should know. You interviewed me. :) I really enjoy surfing your Words of an Author archives. I only hope that I can be as entertaining. Have a fabulous New Year!!!