Behold the New Wonders

Vote for the new 7 world wonders
A few days ago while researching a new story idea, I reviewed the ancient seven wonders of the world. Fascinating. Today, I ran across an article saying that, except for the Pyramids of Giza of Cairo, all of the original 'wonders' are gone. The public has been invited to vote for seven new wonders. *Gasp* Really?!

"The vote is organized by a non-profit Swiss foundation called New7Wonders which specializes in the preservation, restoration and promotion of monuments, and the results will be announced on July 7, 2007, in Lisbon.

About 20 million votes have already been lodged, including many from India, for the Taj Mahal; China, for the Great Wall and from Peru for Machu Picchu, the fortress city of the Incas.

The only criteria for the new list is that the landmarks were built or discovered before 2000
."

The list has been narrowed to 21 historical landmarks. If you have any interest in history whatsoever, you must visit this amazing website. I was captivated. I'm torn as who/what to vote for. From what I'm reading they're all wonders. After you hop over, come back and let me know what fascinated you most.

Comments

Constance said…
As an ex-engineer, I would have to go with the Coliseum as my # 1 pick. My ordered seven, based on twisted engineer logic and sheer personal prejudice:

Coliseum
Pyramids of Giza
Stonehenge
Great Wall of China
Angkor
Petra
Alhambra
Beth Ciotta said…
Although I found all of these monuments, temples, and such fascinating, to me this honor should be awarded to the most ancient. Yes, the Statue of Liberty and Eiffel Tower are wondrous, but I'm more in awe of earlier constructions. Here's my list. Similar to yours, Constance. :)Although I know NOTHING about engineering.

Stonehenge
Pyramids of Giza
Roman Colosseum
Acropolis of Athens
Great Wall of China
Angkor of Cambodia
Petra
Tori Lennox said…
This is so cool! Now I need to decide which to vote for, though I agree with you, Beth, that they ought to be ancient.

Okay, I went with:

Acropolis
Colosseum
Great Wall of China
Machu Picchu
Petra
Pyramids at Giza
Stonehenge

I really wanted to add the Easter Island statues because nobody can figure out how the heck they installed them, but I couldn't leave Petra off my list. :)
Roni said…
What were the orioginal 7 wonders?
I'd list: Stonehenge, the Acropolis, Pyramids at Giza, Statue of Liberty,and Easter Island...not sure about the last two.
Beth Ciotta said…
Tori, I had my eye on Easter Island for the same reasons. ;) But were I to add an 8th to my list it would be Machu Picchu. (Which made your list LOL)
Beth Ciotta said…
Roni...
Aside from the Pyramids of Giza, the other original seven wonders of the ancient world were the Hanging Gardens of Babylon; the Statue of Zeus at Olympia; the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus; the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus; the Colossus of Rhodes and the Lighthouse of Alexandria.

You can read about them and see sketches at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Wonders_of_the_World
Jordan Summers said…
Beth, Your list is what I'd pick, but I wish there could be eight because I'd add Machu Picchu.
This was fun! I was looking for a couple of things that weren't there, however--the leaning tower of Pisa and Mount Rushmore, for example. But I especially love Petra and Angkor.
Beth Ciotta said…
Good call on Mount Rushmore, Toni. I've seen it and it's actually more impressive than the Staute of Liberty. (In my humble opinion). I've also seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa, and, it too, is pretty amazing. Those might have been listed in the original nominations. I believe there were something like 200 and they've now been narrowed down to 21.
Constance said…
Crazy Horse Memorial is near Mount Rushmore (South Dakota) and way more impressive - probably because I've been watching it being carved out of the mountain since 1988. Kinda like participating in history. :)
Info link here http://www.crazyhorse.org
And a webcam!
Bruno Amato said…
Beth...Great topic! I have to go with the Coliseum in Rome....and not showing my Italian prejudice:) and the Great Wall of China, I believe the astronauts say it was visible from space...
ElsieHogarth said…
Beth, cool website and very interesting topic. Since I've been to both Greece and Egypt, I definitely have on my list of 7 Wonders: The Acropolis-Athens, the Colossus-Rhodes and the Pyramids of Giza-Egypt then I'd add The Colosseum-Italy, Great Wall-China, Taj Mahal-India and Stonehenge-UK. I can't wait to see what is the end result with the votes.

Popular posts from this blog

I've Moved!

Happy Thanksgiving!