Uranus, You're a Pain in My . . .

Appliance. This week my laptop died, our vacuum cleaner broke, and the upstairs air conditioning unit quit working. Something else of that nature happened, but I forget just now. I blogged about my laptop, and learned two of my friends' computers crashed recently, too. I commented, "Something must be in the air."

Brooks wrote...
"Something in the air, you say? It's something in the airless planetary system. The planet Uranus (no, I'm not setting up a joke) is in retrograde motion from June 19 to Nov 20 this year. In astrological terms, Uranus in retrograde plays havoc with everything electrical."

Uh-oh. Okay, well, I have an extra coffee maker, two hair dryers, and several curling irons. So I think I'm safe with my java and hair obsessions. Our big screen TV has been acting up. Admittedly it's old, but, ouch, there's an added cost we don't need. Ah! I remember the other thing that went on the blink. One of our DVD players. Although Steve was able to fix that. Holy electronics, Batman! Uranus is kicking our--

As to what to do about this pesky retrograde thing, might I suggest you keep a keen eye on all your appliances. Listen for any weird noises, and smoke and sparks would definitely be a bad sign. In case of emergencies, Overstock.com is having an up to 75% off sale on electronics. Funny, that's the first thing I saw on My Yahoo page this morning. *g*

Comments

Jennifer Elbaum said…
Your post cracked me up. I'm with you on the backup appliances. I recently moved and got rid of three of my four spare coffee makers. Now I only have one spare (oh and my french press thing that I can use on the stove so that even if my power goes out, I can still make my coffee!)

I hope everything else holds up for you.

Congrats on getting Ethel.
Tori Lennox said…
I always thought it was Mercury that played havoc with everything under the sun (er, no pun intended...).

But, yikes! You've certainly had more than your fair share of electronics trouble!
Mary Stella said…
Mercury in retrograde is like universal Murphy's Law with plans, contracts, paperwork -- all the projects at work that should go smoothly all of sudden don't, etc.

I never heard of the Uranus in retrograde thing. Odd. My television started flashing bright green screen off and on yesterday. That could just be old age. I won't mind if it goes because I could get a flat screen instead, perhaps. My computer was a little draggy so I'm backing up and re-backing up material. Yikes! I'll have to pay attention to the rest of the stuff in my house. Brooks, when does Uranus come out of retro? Hopefully it's before my new appliances are set to be installed!
Nancy Henderson said…
Ohmigod! My laptop died. Just ordered a new desktop today! My digital camera is broken, my cat has a strange ear infection thing going on (does that count as being broken?), and my car had a flat tire. Is this just attacking writers?!?
Beth Ciotta said…
We have a french press, Jenn. Although, I'm not sure if I've even used it twice. Should both coffee makers go down, I have an emergency supply of those Folgers 'coffee' bags. Tea bag like, only coffee. It's not Starbucks but it IS coffee.
Beth Ciotta said…
Tori and Mary, as if Uranus wasn't giving us enough problems, I found this out about Mercury...

On July 4, 2006, Mercury, the cosmic magician, turns retrograde in Leo, the sign of the Lion, sending communications, travel, appointments, mail and the www into a general snarlup!

There's more, much more. Check out: http://www.astrologycom.com/mercret.html
Beth Ciotta said…
Nancy, your laptop too?! Well, this is just nuts! My sympathy. Hugs to your kitty, too. I don't believe the planets have targeted writers only, but we're certainly on their crap list. Check out the occupations most at risk right now at that Mercury site I listed above. On another note, I love the new look of your blog. Caz strikes another home run!
Brooks said…
To answer Mary Stella's question: Uranus goes stationary on Nov. 20; give it a few more days to resume forward motion. So, if any of your electrical gadgets are old or purchased during a "Mercury retrograde", now would be the time to keep a watchful eye on them and pamper them.

If you have an Ephemeris (or Google it), you can look up when these retrogrades will occur. It's amazing to watch the things associated with them fall apart during the retrograde periods. It really works!

Thanks Beth, for an amusing and interesting use of my esoteric input.
chryscat said…
Allrighty then.
I tried to post two times earlier. Should have been post #5. Let's try again, shall we?

You know how every astrological sign has a parent planet or two? One of mine is Uranus. I don't claim that very often. heh
And I can understand completely about the electronics. I've had both my dryer and the PS2 bite it...only to rejuvenate themselves anywhere from a month to six months later. Isn't that WEIRD?
Grins*
Beth Ciotta said…
Okey dokey, then. Crystal posts. Third time's a charm. At the risk of sounding CLUELESS, what's a PS2?

Brooks,... my extreme pleasure. :)
chryscat said…
ACK!
You are unaware of a PS2's power?
It has the ability to glue my chickens to the television for an undisclosed amount of time while playing games that sharpen their hand/eye coordination.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Grins*
Taylor said…
Oh, Beth wow. At least we now know what the reason behind all these spooky failures are from.

And by reasons, I mean aliens.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Thanksgiving!

The Reality of it All

I've Moved!