Places to Go, People to Read #1

Yesterday, I had a productive writing day. I need another one of those today. Imagine my horror when I discovered we were OUT OF COFFEE! I rummaged through the fridge and found an old canister of Folgers. God knows how long it's been there since we don't drink that brand any more. I also found a small bag of decaffinated. How did that get in there? To make a full pot, I had to mix two scoops of the non-jet fuel grounds with the five-year old Folgers. *shudder*

I'm drinking a cup now. I've had worse. But after I finish this post and get out of my PJs, I'm heading for Dunkin Donuts. This is DEADLINE WEEK and I must be properly fueled.

This week several of my fellow writers and friends will be attending the RWA (Romance Writers of America) National Conference in Atlanta, GA. A week of workshops and networking. I will not be there. I will be here. Writing. Because this is DEADLINE WEEK. The dates of this year's con couldn't have fallen at a worse time for me. I had not one, but several work related conflicts in addition to having a book due. I couldn't swing it. I was okay with the decision (made months ago) until today. I've been been feeling like a hermit for weeks. Now I feel totally out of the loop.

Next year. I'll socialize and network next year.

Although many of the writers whose books and blogs we love will be away all week, many will not. Some, like me, couldn't go. Some wouldn't go if you paid them. Some don't write romantic fiction. There are plenty of places to go, people to read. Each day this week, I'll try to point you to someone new or someplace you've missed. Lord knows I won't have any thought provoking posts for awhile. My brain is fried. Did I mention it's deadline week? Heh.

Places to Go, People To Read... Recommendation #1:
Jane has written scripts for sitcoms such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, and Gilmore Girls (to name a few). Her blog is fascnating. She's extremely generous with her knowledge of the craft and is always entertaining. She also documents her lunch each day. Oh, the variety! A great writer is a great writer, no matter the genre/medium they work in. A lot to be learned at Jane's blog. Special thanks to sitcom writer/playright Ken Levine for the link!

I'm off to Dunkin' Donuts. Have fun with Jane.

Comments

Tori Lennox said…
Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to find a bunch of new friends while RWA National is going on. You're one of the few people I know online who isn't going.
Alison Kent said…
I like the fact that with so many people now blogging from nationals that the rest of the online community isn't so cut off from the goings-on. Yes, they energy isn't the same, but at least everyone doesn't have to wait a week for news!
Bethany said…
NO COFFEE and DEADLINE? Those 3 words should NEVER be in the same sentence. Never. :-)

Go get your mojo girl.... and keep at it. You'll make it happen. I know you will.
Julia Templeton said…
It's deadline week for me as well, my friend. I'm just relieved I didn't sign on for National. Yes, next year we can network our little hearts out. Until then...write like crazy!
Wishing you mega inspiration!!!!!
Love, Julie
Brooks said…
You bought the five gallon BOX of joe, right!
Maureen said…
glad you will be around this week even if it's *whispers* deadline week. I need someplace to go for my procrastination breaks. Thanks for the link to Jane Epenson's blog especially since she is writing about titles And I HATE titling something. Should have seen me trying to decide what to name my children. although coming up with titles is an interesting way to get plot ideas think i will start savingthe titles i decide against using... you never know.
Beth Ciotta said…
Tori, there are a few of us 'notgoing'. LOL I'll try to point you in their direction through the week. Wouldn't want you to get lonely!

Alison, you're right. We will be able to experience the conference via people blogging from there. I look forward to that. I'll post a link (compliments of you) tomorrow. A place where romance writers can check in for RWA con news.
Beth Ciotta said…
Bethany, no worries. I not only bought a 20 ounce cup for a quick fix, I bought a big bag of java that should last (maybe) throughout deadline week. :) Tomorrow morning I WILL have my high-octaine pot-o-coffee.

Err, note to Brooks. But of course I bought the FIVE pound bag :)
Beth Ciotta said…
JULIE!!!!!! Yikes. I owe you an email. It is forthcoming. Swear. I've been thinking about you as I know you are in the exact same DEADLINE boat. We will not sink. We will swim! SWIM, my friend. I'll meet you on the other side. :)We'll celebrate with Starbucks and a Mel Gibson marathon. Heh-heh.
Beth Ciotta said…
Maureen, I just clicked through. Is that your website? LOVE the look and LOVE the welcome letter. Alpha males. Yum.

Glad you enjoyed Jane's blog. Check back daily. She's really great. So, you hate coming up with titles, eh? I'm the opposite. Love them. They often come to me first and inspire the story. My favorite just now is 'The Adventures of Penelope Pringle'. Heh. Her story is simmering in the back of my mind. So... how'd the kid naming thing go? LOL
Monica said…
Good luck with your deadline!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Thanksgiving!

I've Moved!

The Reality of it All