Mish Mosh of Positive Energy

Continuing on with yesterday's theme and without detailing the funk-inducing things that I've read and witnessed over the past week or so, I want to share a mish mosh of positive energy.

Yesterday, I told myself that instead of getting irritated by rude behavior, I would reinforce thoughtfulness. We've been extremely busy at the library and I've been shocked by how many parents allow their kids to destroy the children's section and leave it to the extremely busy librarians to clean up. Yesterday, I nearly keeled over when I saw two very young boys, maybe three and five, helping their mother to put away all of the puzzles and games they'd dragged off of the shelves. Arms loaded with books, I stopped and made a point of thanking them for their thoughtfulness, telling them how much we appreciated their help. Later, the mother thanked me for the reinforcement as she's been trying to teach her boys responsibility and manners. Oh, if there were only more parents like her! Throughout the day, no matter how busy I was, I made sure to acknowledge every kind word or sentiment uttered by a patron. I wanted them to know how much I appreciated the gesture. Throughout the day, I focused on the positive more than the negative, and came home a happier person.

This morning, I had an email from a entertainer friend. She doesn't read this blog, so she couldn't know about my current bugaboo about negative energy. We're waiting to hear if a gig we're supposed to do together is a go. She said, "I miss working with you and your energy/positive attitude...I could use an injection of it!!" Wow. That made me feel very special indeed.

Yesterday, Cyndi told me that I remind her of June Carter Cash. After reading this article, I have to say that that's perhaps one of the kindest compliments ever paid to me. Please treat yourselves to the entire article (written by Roseanne Cash), but I must share at least this part. It knocked my socks off...

She (June) looked for the best in everyone; it was a way of life for her. If you pointed out that a particular person was perhaps not totally deserving of her love, and might in fact be somewhat of a lout, she would say, "Well, honey, we just have to lift him up". She was forever lifting people up. It took me a long time to understand that what she did when she lifted you up was to mirror the very best parts of you back to yourself. She was like a spiritual detective: she saw into all your dark corners and deep recesses, saw your potential and your possible future, and the gifts you didn't even know you possessed, and she 'lifted them up' for you to see.

Lastly, a year or two ago, my friend Brooks sent me a link for something called The Daily Guru. It's a free service. If you subscribe, you'll receive a daily motivational message. Given my blog topic the past two days, today's advice was kind of eerie ... in a good way.

Saturday, July 8, 2006
COURTESY OPENS ALL DOORS
There is no investment you'll ever make that will pay you so well as the effort to scatter sunshine and good cheer wherever you are. The deepest principle in human nature is the craving to be appreciated. If you treat an individual as if they were what they ought to be and could be, they will become what they ought to be and could be. Everyone thrives on being appreciated, loved and needed. There is no stimulus like that which comes from the consciousness of knowing that others believe in you. Applaud others when they run. Console them when they fail. And cheer them when they recover. As water is to a flower, so is praise to the heart of another.

You can subscribe to The Daily Guru at www.TheDailyGuru.com

Well, that's my mish mosh of positive energy, folks. I hope you get something out of it. I think it just goes to show that no matter who we are we are capable of making a difference in this world. Courtesy and kindness are mighty powerful.

I'm spending the weekend with my husband's family. We're celebrating Dad Ciotta's 80th birthday! I'll check in if I can, but most likely I'll see you Monday or Tuesday.

Peace and joy,
Beth

Comments

Tori Lennox said…
Later, the mother thanked me for the reinforcement as she's been trying to teach her boys responsibility and manners.

Bless this woman! The world needs more like her. :) I'm glad you had such a great positive day!
Mary Stella said…
In keeping with your positive energy vibe, B, I'll share two favorite quotes:

Be the change you wish to see in the world. Mahatma Ghandi

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it. Edith Wharton

When we model a positive attitude for others, we open up the possibility for them to also be positive.

Good for you, B! Happy birthday to your f-i-l. Have fun!
robynl said…
A very nice blog; it is so true about seeing positive in places/people wherever we can.
Happy 80th birthday Dad Ciotta.
ElsieHogarth said…
Happy Birthday to Papa Ciotta! Beth, be sure to soak up a lot of the love and positive energy from friends and family this weekend.
Olga said…
Happy 80th Birthday to Dad Ciotta from me, too! And thank you, Beth, for all the positive energy!
Larissa said…
This was a cool post...I've been needing some positive energy, so this came just in time. And happy b-day to Dad Ciotta! :)
Beth Ciotta said…
Hi everybody! Thank you for the well wishes directed at Dad C. He appreciates it and so do I! As for the mish mosh of positive energy.. so glad you got a positive charge. :) Mary, those quotes are great! Thank you. :)
Bethany said…
Sorry I have been away... on vacation and all... but let me tell you. This blog post could not have come at a better time.

Work is sucking every bit of positive energy from my system. And boy do I need a refill. Thanks for filling the tank a bit and giving me places to fill it even more. :-)