A Bit of Industry Buzz

I can't imagine that many will check in here today. I don't know about the rest of the country, but in New Jersey we're having a beautiful sunny and warm holiday weekend. In my small island community, people are out and about enjoying the beach, craft shows, yard sales, cookouts, and parades. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those people. Yesterday I worked at the library. Today I'm writing. There's a part of me that longs to laze the day away, but the workaholic me, the me that's sweating a deadline won't step away from the computer and into the sunshine. Maybe I'll break away later tonight for a DVD movie-fest. Inspiration via a Rom-Com. Lord knows I own enough of them.

Speaking of romance on DVD (how's that for a segue?), Thursday's (or was it Friday? The days blur.) luncheon at the Romantic Times Convention was sponsored by a movie production company--'Lasting Romance'. Their objective is to turn our favorite romance novels into films. These films would go straight to DVD and would perhaps work on a DVD club or Net-Flix type of deal. They presented an impressive program and conducted fun surveys. The surveys touched on price point (what would you be willing to pay for a DVD? Would you rather rent or buy?), what romance novels we'd like to see transformed into film (yes, I named one of my own!), and what male actors we most see as romantic heroes. I had a hard time deciding between Mel Gibson, George Clooney, and Johnny Depp. But in the end, I voted for Mel. What can I say? He won me forever with his performances in Braveheart and What Women Want.

Lasting Romance also presented a fun powerpoint display of these leading men. The audience's reaction to different male actors was interesting. Although men such as Brad Pitt, Antonio Banderas, and Johnny Depp garnered eager applause, the man who whipped the women in a frenzy was Sean Connery. I agree. S-E-X-Y. But I was surprised given his advanced age. We also went wild for Pierce Brosnan. Hmm. Is it a 'Bond' thing?

No one applauded for Tom Cruise. In fact, the entire room 'booed'! Wow. I didn't boo, but I rolled my eyes. No one booed Jude Law or Hugh Grant, even though they strayed. Apparently we're still willing to view them as romantic heroes. But Cruise... a major fall from grace. Interesting.

I, for one, would LOVE to see romance novels in movie form. I'd join that DVD club. How about you?

More romance novel industry buzz...

* The popularity of Chick-Lit is waning.

* Paranormal still hot.

* Erotic romance, hotter still (flying off of the shelves).

* Sales reps are hitting resistance with the cartoon covers. Word is, buyers are seeing too much of it. They're over it. Many major pubs are going back to more photographic covers.

*Speaking of book covers, the classic clinch scene is as outdated as the term 'bodice-ripper.'

* NO ONE (editors, booksellers, readers) likes the new up-sized paperbacks. What are they called? Uppers? I can't remember, but NO ONE likes them. The font isn't bigger. The stories aren't longer. They just cost more and don't fit properly on the shelves. WHY?

I know it's not much, but that's the buzz I picked up at RT. Anyone have anything to add??

Comments

Jennifer Elbaum said…
Hey Beth

Interesting about Tom Cruise and his boos.

Which of your books did you nominate for being made into a movie???
Tori Lennox said…
I've never been much of a Tom Cruise fan and I think his antics of late have really put off people.
Beth Ciotta said…
Hey, Jen. I nominated JINXED. I can so see that book as a movie. A couple of other people surprised me and told me they marked down one of my books too. Only they put down CHARMED. Truth told, I'd be over the moon if ANY of my books were to be adapted to film. ;)

Re: Tom Cruise, I'm telling you an entire ballroom full of people booed as soon as his headshot went up on the screen. I was stunned that the reaction was across the board (near as I could tell.) Tori, I agree, I think it's fully due to his antics of late.

Question is: Will his film career suffer?
chryscat said…
Just that I would have booed Tom, too.
Grins*
Bethany said…
I would totally sign up for a romance book to movie DVD club! I'd have movies for months! Pre-momhood I watched SO many more... but hey, I still love a good movie!
FeyRhi said…
There's nothing better then a good romance but I don't know if I would sign up for a DVD club?
Who am I kidding I still would...
but I would be worried that a movie wouldn't live up to expectations.
For myself I get a certain feel for some stories and my own personal visual in my head of what happened. How often do we come away from a movie stating "The book was so much better...." of course that might drive sales for the original novel up so that wouldn't be such a bad thing *G*

I can agree with disliking this new format for paperbacks. The size isn't the only thing enlarged, so is the price. I picked up a book in chapters that I *really* was interested in but to pay $18.99 (can) for an author I had never read before was too much of a risk. Had her book been $10.99 like all the other paperbacks I would have snapped it up. I felt bad for the author because I could have been looking at a real winner but I already had 2 other books in my hands at regular price. I wonder how many other people did that too. I do keep checking to see if they re-release it in smaller format. I hate to think that she might loose out on a scond book contract because of the format they published her in.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Thanksgiving!

I've Moved!

The Reality of it All