The Best of Times

I'm back. I'm burt. I'm braindead. But I had the best of times. The Romantic Times Booklovers Convention holds a special place in my heart. I attended my first RT con in 1994. I've only missed one since there. So that's what? Eleven? Wow.

Many of my longest and strongest publishing relationships have been formed and nurtured at RT. Here I am with some of my best writer buds. Most of us published at just about the same time. Mary Stella, Kathy Love, Julia Templeton, and Arianna Hart. Our cherished party bud, Lori Armstrong, is missing from this shot (as are a couple who couldn't attend--Jordan and Cyndi), but I have a great group shot with her that I'll share later. I can't figure out how to post more than one pick at a time (distributed throughout) in one post. Jeesh.

Anyway this pic is from Wednesday night. The Ellora's Cave party. The fantasy party. The cheerleader thing didn't work out for me so I just wore a sheer, sexy black outfit. Julie was on the same wave length as me. Mary looked stunning in her sexy red dress. Kathy went all out as a hostess from Studio 54. You can't see her sparkly silver platform shoes and mirror ball purse, but let's just say... fabu! You also can't see Ari's sexy thigh high stockings and four inch heels --completing her naughty nurse outfit--but maybe that's for the best as I wouldn't want the guys who visit this blog to have a heart attack. Let's just say... yowza!

I mingled with several other friends. The list, I'm thrilled to say, is long. I'll touch on them over the next few days. I had hoped to blog every now and then while I was away, but I just couldn't do it. My days and nights were jammed. I think I averaged five hours of sleep a night for the entire week. Hence my exhaustion and hoarse voice. Ah, well. Small price. I had also hoped to share some industry news with those who visit this blog. That's not happening either. I spent my days in rehearsal for one or another event or as a speaker for a workshop. I attended one, that's right, ONE workshop. Nevertheless, I do have some interesting observations. Observations and realizations that might spark something in you. So check back. During the next week I'll feature stories, pics, and highlights of my experiences at the RT convention. It was a week in which my entertainment and publishing careers weaved together. A little odd. A lot fascinating. At least for me. This past week I learned some things about myself and my life as an author. This past week, as draining as it was, was truly... the best of times.

Comments

FeyRhi said…
Sounds like an amazing as well as hectic event. I can't wait to read your posts about it all. Glad to see you home safe and sound and back to bloggin!
Taylor said…
Beth - WOW! Cannot wait to hear! I'm actually excited to hear all about this. Sounds like alot of fun. Glad you had such a fun time.
Anna Lucia said…
Oh, wow, isn't it funny when you find out friends have friends in common. Wish I'd known you were going to meet Kathy, I'd have sent surrogate hugs. :-) And I know Arianna, too! (At least, I think I do... these name changes are confusing! And she might not remember me)

Good wishes to you, and ALL your friends, Beth.
Jennifer Elbaum said…
Glad you had a good time Beth.

The first line of your post had me in a fit of giggles.

It says "I'm back. I'm burt. I'm braindead."

Yup, you must be burt (though I'm guessing that means "burnt"?)
Welcome home!
Beth Ciotta said…
Oh, jeez, Jen. That's how brain dead I am. I read that post a few times and never caught that typo. Pretty sure I'm still Beth and not Burt. Yup. I meant BURNT!

Anna, you may well know Ari (Arianna) by a different name, her real name. That's what I usually call her, but since I posted her pic I wanted to use her pen name. :) I'm not surprised that we have common friends. What fun!
Beth Ciotta said…
BTW, I think I'll leave that typo there, just to show how BURNT I really am. :)

Taylor, I did have fun. Endured a lot of stress, but the fun over rode that. Stay tuned for details.

Feyrhi, thanks for the welcome home. :) It's a nice place to be!
ElsieHogarth said…
Welcome back, Beth! Get some sleep, relax and try to catch up on the "home life", then tell us all about your trip.
Jennifer Elbaum said…
Definitely leave the typo Beth. It's proof of how burt you are!
Jewell said…
A heads up to all.

Mary's blog has pics up from the conference, also. Including some of our dear Beth in her daring Mermaid costume.

Jewell (ducking for cover)

PS to Anna. Yes'm you do "know" Arianna Hart under a different name. Smooch
Tori Lennox said…
Welcome home! We missed you!!!!
Bethany said…
Sounds like it was FABULOUS Beth! And there is NOTHING wrong with a little brain dead. Once you recover (which for me can take anywhere from 3 days to a few weeks) it will boost your creativity. Trust me on this... especially when you were brain dead with a bunch of other like-minded individuals and having a bit of a party! :-)
Arianna Hart said…
*whimper* I'm just as "burt" as you Beth. I love you, but if I never see the state of NJ (or at least its airport) again it'll be too soon. I spent another 6 hours of fun and excitement there yesterday.

Glad to be home, and don't forget to send me that picture!!! (And thank you JESUS for not posting a full shot! Yikes!!! I should have used ANOTHER alias!!)

*waving to Anna*

I miss you already. You looked too darn cute in your mermaid outfit. My daughter is watching The Little Mermaid now, btw, and I'm laughing my tukkus off.

I almost cried when you sang at the Faery Ball. I can't believe we didn't get any pictures together. Poop.

Love ya!
Ari
Beth Ciotta said…
Jewell, you should have been in that group photo too. And Dorine! In the words of Ari, "poop!" You were missed. As for outting me in my mermaid outfit, no worries. I'll post some myself as the week goes on. :)

Elsie, it's great to be home! Unfortunately, no time to rest. On deadline.... BTW, 'your John' did not attend. :( Will write to you later today.
Beth Ciotta said…
Waving to Tori and Bethany! As for feeling inspired, I do. I DO! It's a fabulous feeling!

Ari, you looked so cute and yes, naughty, in your nurse out fit. I'll send that pic to you. Don't forget to show your husband! :) I have another group shot of us as fairies that I'll post and send on as well. Glad you made it home safely, although I take it you had airline snaffus? Again? Ug.
chryscat said…
Glad to see you back! Glad you had SO much fun. Oh...btw...I really enjoyed Seduced!
Grins*
Lynn Daniels said…
Sounds like a great time. Can't wait to hear about your observations!
Jewell said…
OMG Beth!

What did you think about Evan's proposal at the Mr Romance Pageant?

Tamara called me afterwards squealing and screaming.

He'd been hinting around about the issue for months, and a while back I told her, "wouldn't it be neat if he did it on stage." We both had a huge laugh at the thought. I mean, that's fairytale-esque, ya know?

Jewell
(For those who don't know what I'm talking about, at the Mr Romance competition covermodel Evan Scott called his longtime girlfriend, Tamara on stage and ... proposed to her in front of EVERYONE! Sigh!)
Beth Ciotta said…
Jewell, the proposal blew me away. I had no idea. I was hosting the show and near the end, Rich Devins, the show writer and director leaped on stage and took the mic from me. He then set up Evan, who set up Tam. Good thing I had kleenex under the podium. Very romantic. Very touching!!
Anna Lucia said…
Ah, yes, it IS that Arianna! :-D Too cool.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Thanksgiving!

I've Moved!

The Reality of it All