When Life Inspires Art


Yesterday I forced myself to break away from writing for a few hours to meet up with three dear girlfriends for breakfast. These are friends from my entertainment life, although we've all moved on and only perform occasionally. We're all so busy that we're lucky if we see each other three times a year. So we had a lot of catching up to do. I haven't laughed that hard in a very long time. I warned 'S' that the hilarious story she shared regarding a recent gig as a magician's assistant may find its way into one of my upcoming adventures for Evie of THE CHAMELEON CHRONICLES. I can't make that kind of stuff up. Well, I can, but I don't need to. 'S' lives it. One of her juggling stories inspired a scene in CHARMED. Actually, several true life experiences wth these colorful girlfriends have influenced scenes or aspects of my novels. Hmm. Maybe I should just journal our daily adventures, change names to protect the innocent, and call it fiction. We're a TV series begging to be made. *G*

As we sat at that diner, stretching out the time we had together by ordering endless coffee long after our food was eaten, I flashed on one of the many scenes in 'Sex and the City' where the gals dished over breakfast or drinks. Which led to me mentally casting each of us in the roles of Carrie, Samantha, Miranda, and Charlotte. And you know what? We each sort of fit one of those roles--personality wise! You don't know my friends, but you sort of know me. Whose shoes do you think I saw myself stepping into?

As a side note, I came home, opened up my WIP, and churned out my most inspired work in weeks. I really need to meet up with my friends more often.

Comments

Bethany said…
Oh my! Girl, get yourself out some more and then WRITE your little fingers out. :-) Sounds like a BLAST!
Jennifer Elbaum said…
Last year one of my resolutions was to try to get together with a creative friend at least once every two weeks. It's amazing how being in the presence of a writer, composer, painter or performer fuels my creativity. Just today I got together with a talented pianist and while we didn't talk much about our work this visit (she has too much "life stuff" going on at the moment) we still left feeling energized and ready to dive into my work.
Gabriele C. said…
It's the same with academic discussions. I think one of the reasons (besides having started to write fiction) I seldom feel like tackling that poor neglected PhD thesis is the lack of people to discuss those things with. Though I research Medieaval literature and the rest of our old gang Classical, there was this common expericence of working with old texts, manuscript divergences, unfaithful translations with an agenda, lost texts only known from quotation in other works ... the whole shenagian.

Now I sit in my working room and stare at the walls. And online forums don't replace pub meetings.
chryscat said…
It's great to rejuvenate yourself with all those friends' energy! I can just imagine what a great time you had. Maybe three times a year just isn't enough.
Grins*
Taylor said…
Well, you being the writer Beth I guess places you in the role of Carrie. This blog almost reminds me of the voice overs she gives in each episode (Your Blog = Her Articles). If not Carrie, I think I'd place you as a Charlotte.
Beth Ciotta said…
Hi Bethany! I know. I know. Must socialize more. How can you write about life if you don't live it? Right?

Great resolution, Jen. You're right. Any creative person can do wonders for your spirit. Glad you squeezed in you visit, what with your move and all, and that your energized. That's exactly how I felt!
Beth Ciotta said…
Gabriele, I so admire your expertise. I can well imagine that when you're with fellow acedemics the room (or pub!) buzzes with energy. I can totally understand how on-line forums just wouldn't compare.

Crystal, we DID have an awesome time. And you're right. Three times a year is SO not enough. :)
Beth Ciotta said…
Taylor, you wonderful guy you. I wondered when someone was going to take a stab at which Sex and the City gal I'd be. What's more, you were SO dead on. At first, I thought of myself as Charlotte, but then--on second thought-- I realized that I'm more of a Carrie. Although I got my Mr. Big long before her. :)
Cyn said…
Whenever I can get together with friends, especially creative friends like you and Jen, it's a godsend. It's a shame that it is so few and far between in these fast times.

OK, I've only seen S&TC once. Why do they call him Mr. Big? I'm trying to imagine Steve as Mr. Big and not sure how .... :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Thanksgiving!

The Reality of it All

Happy Holidays!