Fog Brained in Not-so-foggy London

I'm jetlagged. It's cold... and I couldn't be happier. I'm in London!

New experience for me at the airport. We usually take the tube (subway) from the airport into London. About a 45 minute ride, but inexpensive and easy. However the New York Times 'prize' (Steve won this trip) included transportation from Heathrow to our hotel via a private driver. So after we got through customs, we had to look for a man holding up a sign with our name on it. There were lots of drivers, holding lots of signs. If you've arrived at a major airport, you've probably seen these guys. Silly, but I thought it was kind of exciting looking for the sign with our name. :) Our driver was Paul, his car was lovely, he was lovely, and he got us into London in forty minutes. Very little traffic and a nice little sightseeing bonus.

We're staying in a great hotel near Trafalgar Square, which is close to several of our favorite art museums, and also Leister Square which is to London what Times Square and Broadway is to NYC. We can walk to so many things. In fact tonight after dinner, we walked to Westminster Abby (my favorite place) although it was closed. :( Saw Parliment, Big Ben, and the London Eye. All in a few short hours. We're making it an early evening so we can adjust to the time change. Will check in again when I can. Have no idea of tomorrows plans. Flying by the seat of our pants.

Cheers! Beth

NOTE: It is now Thursday morning. I wrote the above last night but couln't publish it to Blogger for some reason. Zipping off to the British Museum this morning and hopefully catching a play tonight. Will check back with you later! :) So how's it going with all of you?? Miss hearing/seeing your posts!

Comments

Jennifer Elbaum said…
Sounds like you're having a lovely time Beth. Enjoy!
Arianna Hart said…
Oh Beth! I know how much you love London! Have a great time sweetie!!!
Ari
Cyn said…
Wish I was there with you! Glad you're having a great time. It's well deserved!
Tori Lennox said…
I'm so jealous! :) Sounds like you're having a great time!
Mary Stella said…
Glad that you're having fun, Beth! Love to Steve.
Being excited by looking for the driver holding your name doesn't sound silly to me at all. I remember feeling very important when I flew into Cairo and was met by a driver holding a placard with my name on it.

Then again, I'm a big dork. :-)

Be sure you take lots of picture to share! :-)
Marjorie Jones said…
Jealous, Jealous, Jealous, but I still lubs ya LOL. Oh, and g'head and be cold, cuz in a couple of months, you'll be toasty on the beach! Ahhh... London... *whining* I wanna gooooo!
Roni said…
Enjoy your vacation Beth! And don't worry about us in the USA. We'll be here when you get back!
Bethany said…
A driver? Holy Shit... that is incredible (and no, it takes VERY little to make ME feel special). The vacation sounds devine. Have as much fun as possible... really. We're all just living our lives. We'll be here when you get back (and STILL rewriting). Ha!
Jordan Summers said…
Have some fish and chips for me while you're there. :-) And please say hello to Covent Garden. It's one of my favorite places next to Jermyn St.
Brooks said…
Do send a thought our way when you're having tea and crumpets, will you Dearie.

A question for Steve: What's your favorite place in London or environs?
Larissa said…
I'm so jealous it HURTS! :) Have a great time, and have an ale for me! *g*
Marjorie Jones said…
What? No entry today? (Friday) What is doing over there? Having a good time or something? We wanna post! We wanna post!

*grin* Was just thinking of you Beth so I thought I'd stop in and say "Cheers".

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Thanksgiving!

The Reality of it All

I've Moved!