And the Winner is... Us!



I love New York, as the song goes. But I love London even more. Steve and I have traveled there many times over the past several years. The first time was for our honeymoon. Three days in London. Two days in Paris. It was the first time I'd traveled overseas and I was bewitched. Everything is so old over there. A history and art lover's paradise. We've also traveled to Austria and Switzerland, both beautiful, and I've been to Italy (personal favorite), but the place we love best, our place, is London.

Steve reads the New York Times on-line daily. Last year, he entered a contest where you guessed the Oscar winners. He guessed every one right. When he got the winner's letter in the mail, he thought it was too good to be true. I encouraged him to follow through as I've worked in PR and the forms looked official to me. They were. 100% the real deal. He won a trip! A week long trip, all expenses paid! He had a choice of three places. Hollywood, CA, Wine Country (CA) or.... (drum roll please) LONDON!! We blinked at the page, chuckled. "Gee," I said, "Which one are you going to pick, I wonder."

Here it is more than a year later. Deadline for taking this trip is March 30, 2006. So guess where I'm going tomorrow? LONDON!! I have to take my laptop with me, write on the plane, write in the mornings, because I have another March 30 deadline. That dratted synopsis. But I don't mind working while on vacation. I'll be in LONDON!!

We have a house/pet sitter lined up. I'm sort of packed. Tube (subway) map. Check. Umbrella. Check. Bookmarks. Check. Yes, bookmarks. I'll be stopping by Murder One, a bookstore on Charing Cross Road that specializes in mystery and romance. Actually, it's about the only place I've found in London that carries a wide offering of American romance. Most of the chains offer a limited amount and bestseller names only. The last time I stopped in (2004) I was blown away to find copies of JINXED and CHARMED on the shelves. The bookseller, Gwen, was delighted to have me autograph them. I was delighted to do it! They're selling me in LONDON!! Er, you know what I mean. I'll be dropping in again, and yes, I'll be looking for friends' books too! Pictures forthcoming. Oh, and blog posts too. Internet Cafe hear I come.

Okay. Off to finish packing. Um, is it just me, or does anyone else obsess over what to wear? I swear I've packed and unpacked various ensembles three times now. Sheesh.

Comments

Leippya said…
Enjoy yourself! :)
Tori Lennox said…
How exciting!!! Have fun!!!
SassyElsie said…
Hi Beth!
Have a great time. Enjoy!

"Stalker" and I say don't forget to go to "Lush" for great beauty products: soaps, body lotions etc.
Mary Stella said…
I change my mind at least four times when planning what to pack for a trip. Right up to the point where I zip up the suitcase I usually make substitutions.

Have a wonderful time, my friend. I know how much you and Steve love London. Enjoy!
Gabriele C. said…
Have fun.

I know what you mean about everything being so old in Europe. It is fun to have 6 castles in the half-an-hour drive distance. Not to mention living in a town with Mediaeval houses. :)
Roni said…
Have a great trip Beth! Don't forget copies of SEDUCED for them. Make sure you schedule time to have fun!!!
Anna Lucia said…
oh BETH! If only it was the week before last, or next week! We could have met in Murder One and had a coffee or something!

Maybe next time. :-)

Hope you have a truly lovely time. Don't forget to walk in one of the London parks - that's something I always have to do when I'm down there.

And if you're interested in the Wellington/Napoleon/Peninsula War/Waterloo thing (hey, you never know, perhaps you're a fan of Sharpe?) you have to check out Apsley House, No 1, London. :-)
FeyRhi said…
Oh I am so envious!!! Have a wonderful time, can't wait to see the picture!!
Beth Ciotta said…
Thank you, Leippya and Tori. I will!

Elsie, I almost forgot about Lush. Thanks for the reminder.

Mary, thank goodness I'm not the only one who changes her mind a bazillion time regarding WHAT TO WEAR! I wanted to wear new spring clothes, but alas it will be in the forties and raining. :( Time to unpack my pick and yellow ensembles. *sigh*
Beth Ciotta said…
Gabriele, you have six castles within thirty minutes of you?! Totally envious. :) I love touring castles. The older the better.

Roni, no worries on the fun front. Trust me, I'll manage. ;0)
Beth Ciotta said…
Anna, I can't believe I came so close to meeting you! Well, no worries. We'll be back. A date at Murder One for coffee sounds great. Something to look forward to on another visit! Appreciate the guide tips. I'm also interested in a Shakespeare exhibit I see they have now at the, oh darn, I think it was the National Gallery. The one very near Trafalgar Square.

Waving to FehRhi! The pictures might not be until we get back, but I will blog from London! Cheers!

Okay. Back to house cleaning and unpacking/packing.
Bethany said…
Can I say JEALOUS! Oh my... never been to Europe (yet). You go HAVE FUN! Deadline, schmedline. Go have fun and give your brain time to recharge. Think of all the writing fodder you will have when you get back. :-)
Jennifer Elbaum said…
Have fun!

I can get a ton of writing on the plane (I mean, what else is there to do -- besides concentrating really hard to keep the plane in the air?) so I predict you'll finish up your synopsis.

Good luck and good travels!
Sharon J said…
It's funny, I was born and raised in London and don't have much time for the place. Sure, it's a great city to be a tourist in but wild horses wouldn't persuade me to live there agian. Give me green rolling meadows and cool forests any day.

Hope you have a lovely time. ~Sharon J
Jordan Summers said…
Have a wonderful time.
Beth Ciotta said…
Bethany, put Europe on your wish list, no, GOAL list. There are several places I'd still like to see. Scotland and Ireland to name two. Thanks for the well wishes. I know I'll have a great time!

Jen, I had hoped to do a LOT of writing on the plane. But our flight doesn't take off until 9:50PM. A late flight this time. I need to grab some sleep at some point so I'm somewhat refreshed when we land. The time change always messes with me the first day. Total jet lag! Anyway, I'm sure I'll get some writing done. And SOME is better than NONE! :0)
Beth Ciotta said…
Sharon, I'm the opposite of you in that I was born and raised in the country. So I get a real charge out of touring major cities. Not all of them, just ones that, for me, hold a specific charm. They're usually cities that offer a unique combination of history, art, and culture.

Anyway, I should have said that I adore 'England' in general. Steve and I always take a day trip or two outside of London. The rolling hills and forests of the English countryside are just about the greenest and most beautiful I've ever seen. The trip to Stonehenge was magical. I adored Bath and Stratford Upon Avon. Warwick Castle. Bodium Castle. All of these trips involved the countryside and smaller towns. Last year we took the train to Hever. Once there, to get to Hever Castle, we had to walk a winding country road for, what seemed, several miles. "I could live here," I told Steve. He couldn't. But I could. I told him we need to win the lottery so that we can have two homes. One in London and one in Hever. The country home in Hever is where I'd go for writing marathons. Ah, yes. One can dream. For a peek at Hever and the country side visit: http://www.hever-castle.co.uk/
Beth Ciotta said…
Thanks, Jordan! I will! :)
Larissa said…
OMG--I'm so jealous!!!! England is my favorite place IN THE WORLD!!!

Congrats, and have fun!!!!
Marjorie Jones said…
Holy cow,I'm am PEA GREEN with Envy! Have a wonderful time, Beth!

You too, Steve LOL

Hugs,
Marjorie
Beth Ciotta said…
Larissa, you just got back from Germany, didn't you? Also on my list of places I'd like to visit. What were thehighlights for you?

Marjorie, LOL, I'd pack you in my suitcase and smuggle you along except I packed too many dang clothes!! So... how many suitcases ar you lugging to RT? :) Got you costumes lined up??
Taylor said…
have the best time Beth! Be safe and have all the fun in the world! (Remember picturesssss!!!!!!!!!!!)
Bob said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bob said…
Caramba, I tried to repost my previous post, but posted it on the wrong post. Guess that's a sign I shouldn't try anything too difficult today. Better check my biorhythms. My family is said to have lived in a castle near Bath, I think: Farleigh-Hungerford
Marjorie Jones said…
Beth that is so sweet LOL... Don't think I'll ever fit in a suitcase... again. That's another story. RT packing? The word is LIGHT. Last year, I about broke my back with all the carryons (took the max allowed and used a BACKBACK as my purse) and overweight suitcases. Nope, this year, it's swimsuit, shorts, light skirts and one pair of jeans. Well, a top of two, I guess. ONE suitcase, and a rolling computer case with the backpack. That's it. No costumes. I can't match you experts and I'm not gonna try LOL. Oh... Ari, dear, I will have GLITTER for the fey ball. Can't WAIT!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Holidays!

Happy Thanksgiving!

The Reality of it All